Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What would you recommend/buy?

I've narrowed down my choices of scope to either:

A) Celestron Nexstar 4SE or 5SE (depending on funds)

:) Skywatcher 127 Synscan alt/az GoTo mak

C) Skywatcher 102 Synscan alt/az GoTo refractor

Which one would you buy and why?

I need a portable scope as I'll be doing a lot of airline travel and also moving to Cyprus so I'll be taking it with me as luggage. The OTA will be hand luggage and the mount/tripod will be in my main case.

I have the 4SE - it is very nice but the tripod has to be fully disassembled for transport as it does not fold. I think the 5SE costs a lot in comparison to the Skymax 127.

The 127 Maksutov for me too and although I think the Starbright XLT coatings on the 5 SE Nextstar are excellent (other half has this very scope) and was a group test winner in a recent survey by Sky@Night magazine, I agree with Ags that you are paying a premium (almost twice as much) for the benefit which you could use on some nice eyepieces.

James

I would probably go Skymax 127. The 5SE is 'better' but a LOT more expensive. If you get the Skymax you can spend that money on improving your scope's accessories.

To put "better" into context the c5 on a nexstar mount is a bit more stable than the 127 on it's synscan mount not a lot in it as both are at the top of their mounts capacity.

The nexstar has better software although tracking is about the same on both.

The c5 tube takes a little less time to cool down and the optics are in my opinion a little better (however the 127 mak is no slouch)

the big but is the price. the 5se is nearly twice the price of the skymax on the synscan it's not nearly twice as good a scope.

Archived