Just had this delivered today :)

Hello from Guernsey.

I've been dying to get my hands on a telescope for sometime now, but never got round to it. It was only since I moved to Guernsey, and realising just how little light pollution there was that I thought now would be the perfect opportunity!

I originally decided on a Celestron Nexstar 5SE, but after reading reviews of the Skywatcher SkyMax-127 SupaTrak AUTO - which is considerably cheaper, I thought I'd take a chance and try it.

I popped on to FLO, but their delivery prices to Guernsey was quite expensive (£55) so I thought I'd try elsewhere - anyway, I ended up @ WEX where, they had the exact same scope, in their 'bargain basement' for £248...and £4.99 delivery!!! So... after a short phone call to take off the VAT (yay for no VAT), I picked up the scope for £211 - which seems a bargain.

Anyhoo, fast forward to today, and they sent me this;

skywatcher.jpg

I'm slightly confused, as the picture on the website, and it's description (Sky-Watcher SkyMax-127 SupaTrak AUTO) lead to this; 592.jpg

the OTA and mount is different...

Are they both the same? Is one I have an older version? The mount looks better on the one I have...and the black OTA looks fab.

Anyway, I've been blessed with crystal clear skies thus far today, so I'm hoping I can have a play tonight :)

Any tips, or info would be most welcomed... I am a complete novice!

Regards,

Steve.

Well I'm not an expert on these scopes, but the specifications are identical and I believe the the black model to be the most recent version (...finish very nice!) Looking at the older picture (blue) the mount pictured is consistent with other current adverts that link under the 'supatrak' description so the advert you saw isn't odd in that regard. The mount you now have, seems to be the one that is advertised under Goto version, though I can see from the handset you don't have this version, (....be great if they sent it buy mistake!). Logically I would assume that all the versions are now in the black tube using the same tripod, though the 'contents' of the mount head sections will vary on whether you have Goto or not. Still a nice bit of kit and a pretty good price - any houses for sale on Guernsey?

James

Edit sorry, must learn to type faster as others pip me to the post!

Hi Steve, nice 1 on the new scope, just line the finder scope up with the main scope so the cross hairs in the little finder scope centre on a star/moon or planet in the main scope. http://www.custerobservatory.org/docs/messier1.pdf

Just click on the link - this is a set of charts for the Messier objects - start with these and locate the constellations and away you go -Ursa Major (map 5 overhead 9 - 10 o'clock) is very high in the sky at the moment, also Leo (map 4 due South about 9 10 o'clock) where Mars is at the moment, a little later, lower (due South) and to the left is the bright star Spica in the constellation of Virgo, the "star" near to Spica is Saturn.

The messier objects are the brightest objects to search for and with your dark skies you should have no trouble locating them.

Hope that helps a little Steve and enjoy your new scope - regards Paul.

Thanks for the confirmation! Cant wait for it to get dark :)

House prices are insane over here. I'm only renting, and I pay £1500PCM for a two bed house. Gotta love it though, it's a cracking place to live. Lots to do; be it Banger Racing on the beach, or going to the Observatory! Which, is actually open tonight and I'm half tempted to go down.

Hi Steve, nice 1 on the new scope, just line the finder scope up with the main scope so the cross hairs in the little finder scope centre on a star/moon or planet in the main scope. http://www.custerobservatory.org/docs/messier1.pdf

Just click on the link - this is a set of charts for the Messier objects - start with these and locate the constellations and away you go -Ursa Major (map 5 overhead 9 - 10 o'clock) is very high in the sky at the moment, also Leo (map 4 due South about 9 10 o'clock) where Mars is at the moment, a little later, lower (due South) and to the left is the bright star Spica in the constellation of Virgo, the "star" near to Spica is Saturn.

The messier objects are the brightest objects to search for and with your dark skies you should have no trouble locating them.

Hope that helps a little Steve and enjoy your new scope - regards Paul.

Perfect, thanks Paul. Very helpful. I was wondering how to set the finder up. I've clearly not set it right due to not being able to see the moon in the man scope, but it was in the finder. Granted, it's still light, but the moon seems quite clear! Am I being stupid? :)

Great scope Steve. I have the same on the GOTO mount and it's a great piece of kit. I'm very jealous of your dark Guernsey skies though... that will make it even better!

Enjoy your scope!

blown.away! have just spent about 30mins looking at Saturn. Remarkable; blew me away. Tried to use the Barlow + 10mm, but couldn't get a decent focus on it.. not sure if I'm doing something wrong...

The moon just looks incredible. I saw a crescent venus. Had problems locating M81 - I lost a contact lens and so was blind in one eye! hehe.

Can't wait to get out there again. Just need the wind to drop. It's a bit shakey!

Santos, you're not doing anything wrong, a 10mm + Barlow will be pushing the magnification a bit for the scope (x300). You will only be able to go this high on very clear nights. An 8-9mm EP would get used regularly for planetary work with this scope. A 32mm would be very helpful for searching out DSOs. I would suggest GSO or Vixen NPL plossls.

Archived