NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Camera for Guiding?

Grant

I had my first ever go at guiding last night, it worked on jupiter, the software kept adjusting the mount and it stayed dead center.. but, the camera I had is just a toucam, not even the pro version just an older version I brought accidently, it doesn't have the low light capabilities of the proper toucam so when I tried guiding on an actual object (M31) it couldn't see any stars at all...

Can you recommend any other kinds of cameras to use for guiding? I don't want to spend a fortune so cheap and cheerful is good :(

Cheers,

Grant

Grant, I bought an Orion Starshoot DSI from the states. The guy was very creative with the import slip, so no tax paid. It cost £145 delivered. It used the larger (1/3") Sony Ex-view HAD chip which meant it was not only more sensitive than the Toucam Pro II but also saw a larger area of the sky. Another bonus was the TEC cooling. And another bonus was the USB 2.0 Highspeed connection. Yet another bonus was the single cable connection to the laptop. And finally it was bundled with MaximDL and worked as an autoguider.

Pretty damn good for only £145. You'll pay that for an SC1.5 modded toucam.

But given the budget (£359) I would go with the Atik 16ic :(

Russ

Russ, that sounds ideal! Anychance you could send me the guys details?

Kai, The toucam I have isn't suitable for modding, its an older version so to get one that could be modded I'd need to buy the toucam first.... I think Gaz has got a meade dsi for sale in the buy sell section, would that do the trick?

I've been using a Meade DSI (basic colour), for three or four years now, and it has served me very well as a guide cam.

If you could pick up a second-hand, it should be an effective and economical option.

Dave

Someone is selling a Logitech Fusion webcam on Astro Buy Sell. Even if it isn't modified, it is not a hard task to do.

Whether it would be better than your old Toucam, maybe Gaz or Caz could say. I can't remember which one of those members owned a Fusion.

I have done mine, but not used it yet. I think it was Caz.

Ron.

Someone is selling a Logitech Fusion webcam on Astro Buy Sell. Even if it isn't modified, it is not a hard task to do.

Whether it would be better than your old Toucam, maybe Gaz or Caz could say. I can't remember which one of those members owned a Fusion.

I have done mine, but not used it yet. I think it was Caz.

Ron.

Iit was me Ron (Gaz :(), I don't know how well it would do for guiding but IMO its a better than a Toucam Pro for lunar imaging bit not as good for planets.

In USA at this time is Meade DSI pro monochrome camera on sale for 129$ (this is old Meade DSI camera of course). I just buy one. It is just one trick in this. They can't ship this cameras outside USA, so you must have someone in USA to receive this camera and send it to you. But of course you must add import taxes and additional post costs. Because this camera is monochrome is more sensitive and I read around web that is good for guiding. In the other hand you can easily making pictures with it. I didn't buy version with color filters because they are to exposed to dew and dust but if I find this camera to be good for the prize maybe I buy filter wheel and some RGB filter sets and try also imaging with this camera.

Saso

Archived