NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Viewing Andromeda

cygnusx1

OK after much RTFM :read2: I was finally explained today how to correctly polar align and use the circle settings on my scope :toothy8: , so i took the scope out early, set it up and waited for it to become dark....

...its 23:50 and its still lightish so i guess any really decent viewing is kinda out the window.

Nevertheless, i would like to at least try and view Andromeda, so my q's are

1. What is the best EP or maginification to use? 10mm / 25mm??

2. As the angular diameter is 175' x 62' i guess im not going to get the whole galaxy in my eyepiece?

4. Apparently M31 is visible with the naked eye. I can't see it anywhere near Mirach?

3. Any hints and tips for settings/better viewing?

Thanks!! :(

1) Use the lowest power EP you can-that'd be your 25mm.

2) No, you won't see the whole thing, but you should see the inner core.

3) It's visible from a dark site. Basically, find the square of Pegasus and follow the upper left star diagonally up and left and you'll see a faint, fuzzy spot. That's M31.

4) Just relax as much as possible. I like to tell newbies to scan around with a pair of binoculars and point the telescope at anything that looks fuzzy.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

4. Apparently M31 is visible with the naked eye. I can't see it anywhere near Mirach?

Great... your not far away at all... This time of year, Mirach is the bottom star of three stars (each getting fainter is you move up to the next). Andromeda is just to the right of the top star of the three.

Vega

You should not have too much trouble finding it with a scope. Was the first thing I managed to star hop to. It is quite faint not unlike a very faint and smallncotton wool ball! Dont expect to see anything like the images that are posted, but it's still an amazing thing to find/observe from your garden.

If you look above mirach to mu andromeda,then above again ,two stars nu andromeda and 32 andromeda,these stars form a y shape,the galaxy is slightly above but between nu and 32 andromeda(the opening of the "y") and provided you have reasonably dark skies you should be able to see an oval smudge with the naked eye.

I use a 40mm ep giving me 30x mag.

Thanks folks, tbh i now know where it is, its just my skies are so polluted here with haze from London in the S. East that it's not visible at all to the naked eye till high up in the zenith ( and very late too! )

CX1

Andromeda is a tough naked eye object from London.

It is a calssic example of how light pollution is getting worse.

I used to be able to see it from my London back garden easily when I first got into astronomy as a teenager (mid 80's)

Now it is only visible on the best (coldest) nights.

Cheers

Ian

Just been out with the 15x70's and Andromeda looks very nice...naked eye here along with the Double cluster....

Yip..That's me.. Very Happy

You're fuzzy?

:D

My wife would say a bit crispy with a soft center... :wink:

Archived