NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Planetary/Lunar viewing - Eyepiece sizes?

Im starting to think about a few eyepieces for when I get my Tal 100RS up and running.

It has a focal length of 1000mm and I am mainly interested in viewing the moon and planets.

i want to keep things simple and was wondering which size eyepieces would be good to have for varied views of them.

I have a 5mm BST Explorer on the way which should give me 200x so I was thinking of sticking with them and getting a 25mm, 15mm and an 8mm?

Thanks in advance as always,

Rob.

Sounds pretty good selection to me.

The 25mm will have a 1.5 deg field so will show a full moon nicely, bright as hell but well framed. The moon will just about fill the view with the 15mm - would say the 15mm would be not the best for a full moon as a full moon could be "uncomfortable". Would expect it to be good for a cresent moon.

The others, 8mm and 5mm, will enable you to pick out more individual features.

Rob, your making good sense with that eyepiece range, and you will be surprised at how much use the 25mm will get, these BST`s work well with the Tal 100, im waiting for the 8mm to be in stock

A good range of eyepieces!

I'd think of getting an other eyepiece in the 6 or 7mm range. I found that sometimes the 200x magnification couldn't always be used to atmospheric turbulance. So something in the 150 to 170x range would give the best high power views. At least that's what I found when I had my 100RS.

Andy.

agreed, that is a good range. you can also get a x2 barlow, this effectively doubles your collection.

They help bring out detail in planets like jupiter but I see you have a nice 5mm which will show jupiter in great detail, saturn too. a barlow x2 on the 8mm might be brilliant for mars.

but

if you stick with what you have listed you will have a great deal of fun.

Archived