Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SkyWatcher 400P FlexTube SynScan ?

I have recently got a hold of a 300P Flextube....... Give me a couple of weeks to see how the tracking is for imaging planets, visually it holds the object in the center of the FOV for longer than I cared to view it for.....

HTH,

Gary

I was told this scope is for deep space imaging ?

not good for planets

No, it's not suitable for deep sky imaging - it will exhibit field rotation on long exposures. A scope that size would need some serious equatorial hardware underneath it too for it to track accurately enough for DSO imaging!

No, it's not suitable for deep sky imaging - it will exhibit field rotation on long exposures. A scope that size would need some serious equatorial hardware underneath it too for it to track accurately enough for DSO imaging!

:D looks like I had better use a different shop from now on

Although ive not tried imaging with one of these I would say visually they track very well, so I should imagine you would get pretty good webcam planetary images through one.

Large Dobs are the best tools for visual deep sky observing on the whole, but cannot image the deep sky without either an equatorial platform or being put on an EQ mount.

As John suggests an EQ capable of securely mounting a 16" scope would need to be enormous. This would make it extremely costly to buy.

Regards Steve

Yup, any goto or tracking dob would make a great planetary scope but not for DSO's due to it being an altaz mount.......

The Flextube goto's are great at what they were designed for, great goto and great tracking but field rotation would be a probelm in long exposure dso imaging.

Gary

:D looks like I had better use a different shop from now on

Maybe they thought you meant viewing deep sky objects ? - sometimes the word images can be taken the wrong way. The 400P is of course fantastic for observing the deep sky.

To be honest I don't think the CPC1100 would be good for DSO imaging either, which was the OP's other thought.

Archived