NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I would like to build a SOLAR projection device that makes 2ft diameter image?

I would like to build a SOLAR projection device that makes 2ft diameter image (or larger) on a screen or side of a building.

Can anyone point me to equipment for sale, plans, information or any related help?

You can use an "ordinary" telescope and eyepiece to project a Solar image up to about 6-8 inches in diameter without too many problems. BUT you will probably ruin your scope! The main problem is that not only do you focus the light but also the heat of the Sun so it is quite easy to melt any parts of your gear that are not up to it eg plastics or more or less any modern eyepiece (where the lens parts are often glued together). You would need exellent tracking and a moveable screen.

The other option would be a dedicated Solar telescope fed by a coelostat - a device designed to track the Sun and provide a "fixed" image. These, however, tend to be in the realm of the professional. The Mount Wilson solar telescope has, I believe a primary mirror of around 60 feet focal length (20 meters roughly) which gives an image of about 16 inches (40cm) in diameter.

Hmmm

The solar disk diameter is approx 1/100 the effective focal length...

To achieve a 2' diameter image you'll need a EFL of about 200'

A very large mirror (the 2' diameter image will otherwise be very faint!) say >12" and f10 and a ol' slide projector lens may get you close???

Apart from the problems already highlighted, you would need a very clever lightbox arrangement to provide sufficient contrast. I've produced a 6 foot solar image with a Camera Obscura, successfull only because it was in a darkened environment.

What Stu said would be a plan.

But all depends what you are going to do with it? For public viewing? Can you do the "projection" part indoors in a darkened room? If not, can you ensure the focused path cannot be entered by anyone unawares? How many people need to view at any one time Etc.

The easiest way to get close and fairly would be a "sun gun". http://www.sunguntelescope.com/

Cheers

Ian

That looks like a nicely made bit of kit. :)

Looking at it, it looks like the "lens" portion is actually just a bit of flat glass? Is that so? I think that is what the original design called for.

Cheers

Ian

Archived