Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Free Courses

Hightower

(Please move if in the wrong section)

I don't know if anyone was aware, but I've stumbled on the free courses available from OU in relation to science. There's a tonne of courses, and although they are all introductory, there seems to be some good ones about the sun, jupiter, the moon, the frozen planet etc which might excite a few members on here with time and desire to learn more:

Science - LearningSpace - The Open University

Awesome fine. Thanks for these, printing the Sun and Moon ones out just now.

These'll get me started until my OU astronomy course arrives at the end of this month. :)

NOTE FOR SCOTTISH FOLKS: If you're of a low income you can apply to ILA Scotland and get £200 (sometimes £500) 'vourchers' that you can trade in for courses at places like the OU. I'm getting the Galaxies, Stars & Planets course (from OU) that way. A £170 course for free. :rolleyes:

There is also some good, although possibly more in depth stuff if you look on iTunesU. Me and my partner are (slowly!) working through a course uploaded by Yale University. There are videos of all the hour long lectures and you can also download lecture notes and exam papers! Much of the maths is way beyond us and the lectures are quite fast paced but we mostly understand the concepts they are trying to teach.

There is also some good, although possibly more in depth stuff if you look on iTunesU. Me and my partner are (slowly!) working through a course uploaded by Yale University. There are videos of all the hour long lectures and you can also download lecture notes and exam papers! Much of the maths is way beyond us and the lectures are quite fast paced but we mostly understand the concepts they are trying to teach.

I would also recommend this too. You can use itunesU on an iPhone or iPad and it makes it very easy to follow the course. I've only started on the first lecture so far, but already I am impressed and look forward to working through it.

• 4 months later...

Found another good site to do free courses: https://www.coursera.org

I'm currently doing a course on Algoritms provided by Princeton University that they make available through Coursera and can vouch for the quality of the course and way they make the materials available. There is a discussion forum for each course, so you can bounce ideas off other people who are doing the course.

Some astronomy based ones here: https://www.coursera.org/category/physical

Archived