SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Barlow with a zoom

Hi all, i,v just ordered the baader hyperion zoom E/P and was wondering if i can use my Tal 2x barlow with it? if so what sort of magnification would that give me?

I remember reader somewhere that you shouldn't use a barlow with these.

I have te same Zoom and use it with a celestron 2 x barlow with no problems.

It does become unuseable at the 8mm end tho due to excessive mag, not the zoom or the barlows fault, just mathematics !

And yes, baader make one specifically for the zoom, but any barlow will do ! just ask take That :)

I used my tal x2 barlow with my hyperion zoom recently and was getting great views of mars and Saturn at 250 and sometimes 300 power. Made be reappraise my whole approach to planets.

Sent from my HTC Legend using Tapatalk 2

http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-eyepieces/183011-unofficial-baader-barlow-zoom-attachment.html?highlight=hyperion+zoom

Hi Ya Hutch, I started this thread a little while ago regards barlowing a zoom ep - found this a little while back - if you have a 21mm hyperion, you can use the bottom of the 21mm and add it to the hyperion zoom ep to double the mag of the zoom - thats if you have the 21mm with the zoom ep - Cheers Paul.

The Hyperion Zoom offers:

8, 12, 16, 20 and 24mm.

Why would you even need a 2x Barlow with it?

all you would be really gaining is a 4mm and a 6mm EP and they would not be used much in the UK/Ireland due to conditions.

8mm is the highest magnification EP that most people use on planets. The Hyperion has an 8mm.

I dont see the need for a 2x barlow with the Hyperion zoom. It already offers a good range of magnification.

Dont forget that you can use the zoom EP not just at the click stops, but everything in between. So you have essentially a collection of:

8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23 and 24.

The only thing missing, and i feel would make this an even more popular item is if they included a 32mm stop on it. But i am sure that would kick the price up a good bit.

But i have found that the 24mm click stop setting does a very good job for DSO hunting.

Hi Ya Paul - would tend to agree, I have a the Hyperion zoom (well when my replacement arrives) and find that when hunting DSO's with my little 5" Mak - its nice just to increase mag a little to darken the background sky a little to help with contrast and without having to swap eps - the zoom and barlow combi would really only be helpful on the moon I would think - but with short focal length scopes and optimum nights of good seeing its always nice to try and increase the maximum mag a little and "push" the seeing a little more. Cheers Paul.

Archived