Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

An unexpected problem.

sinky

Well, here I am in the highlands, many miles from Glasgow's orange glow. Spent Yesterday evening at friends patiently waiting for the skies to clear as per the forecast. At 10pm (after several Guiness) went outside to be greeted by a stunning sky.

Took me forever to get lined up with anything !

Too many stars ! Normally It takes about 20 secs to pinpoint Polaris in the finderscope and get my "push to" aligned, but under this sky Polaris was surrounded by a sea of stars.

Got there eventually and revisited many objects previously only seen from polluted skies. M13 being particularly impressive. Actually spent as much time with the binoculars as I did with the scope. Hopefully will be just as good tonight.

Yes I've had that problem before. I tend to line the scope up roughly north then on Betelguese and others that have a distinctive colour then I know I have the right one.

Good tip. Have just been in the habit of using Polaris.

Thought I was lined up a few times and then thought, wait a minute. Polaris is a double !

Took me forever to get lined up with anything !

Too many stars ! Normally It takes about 20 secs to pinpoint Polaris in the finderscope and get my "push to" aligned, but under this sky Polaris was surrounded by a sea of stars.

You should feel sorry for those of us who have to put up with that all the time :D

James

Archived