8 - 9mm eyepiece

TMB 7.5mm Planetary?

Dunno if I'm allowed to leave a link.. Mods please remove if not allowed

1.25" 7.5mm 58 Degree TMB Planetary II eyepiece | eBay

Brand new and within your price range :D

Good reviews and 58 degree FOV means less of a "looking through a straw" like experience

Tony

Tony,

Tis looks very interesting indeed, will it work well with a mak 127 do you know ?

The 7.5mm will roughly give you x200 magnification if I remember correctly

Should be ok on nights of good to very good seeing, although a 9mm may be a better bet for uk skies with this scope (x170 )

My TS planetary is also a TMB clone. You can get them from TS (although the postage is a bit steep if that's all you're buying) or from Modern Astronomy for £49.

I'd back up from 7.5mm a bit. You can always barlow your 15mm on the rare occasions when x200 can be used.

Andrew

I did think about a Barlow instead of another eyepiece but it's like a mine field with barlows.

Paul

True, and I rarely use mine. Re-inforces the point though that you'd be better nearer the 9mm mark.

Andrew

I just barlow my 18mm bst. I bought the 18 specificaly for this reason as I get 2 very usefull magnifications from the 1 ep. I use the tal2x barlow and think this is an excellent combination that works well in my 127mak.

Vixen NPL 8mm plossl £30 FLO

TMB Planetary (clone) Skys the Limit £40 ish

BST Explorer 8mm £47 Sky's the Limit

Celestron X-Cel 7mm, 9mm £69 FLO

I'm using the 7mm X-Cel LX with a Mak 127 it's a nice combination, I'm sure the 9mm would work well also. I own a 15mm of the BSTs which is also good and I've tried it with the Tal 2x barlow also quite effectively.

Keep in mind that an 8mm Plossl design such as the Vixen NPL will have much shorter eye relief (distance at which you need to keep your eye from glass) than the 15mm one you own and the BSTs and X-Cels. I'm not sure about the eye relief of the TMBs I've not looked into them. Might be a consideration if you wear glasses.

Tyr

Archived