NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Light Modded 1100D - Flame and Horsey

Gina

Taken last night with very little time. A couple of dozen subs but the first few were before it got really dark and the last few suffered from some obscuring by the obsy and a touch of LP. I think this was probably my last chance at this target this time round unless the clouds go away by dark tonight.

Flame.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What length subs are you taking? Is this through the scope or eyepiece? How many subs in total

I have read your trials and tribulations with modding your camera - Having looked at the pictures you are taking with it, I've not seen so much noise on a DSLR as I am seeing here. I used my modded 1000D for a while and even though the noise bugged me, it was nothing compared to this. Is there possibly some issue with your mod? Are these massive crops? DSLR's are proving to be so very capable now, I am a little surprised by this if I'm honest.

Here's the full frame from DSS converted from TIFF to JPEG and scaled for here. No extra processing. Not uploaded to Photobucket and linked like before but a direct upload here.

post-25795-133877762083_thumb.jpg

Looking at the image in PS it just seems to me that there is just simply not enough signal.

Very gentle processing below, taking care not to clip and making small adjustments each time, undoubtedly others could get more out.

Flats and Darks would sort the dust spots and dead pixel trails, and reduce the noise levels a lot.

But I'd imagine this would come out a lot better with 1 minute subs at least ?

post-31839-13387776215_thumb.jpg

Looking at the image in PS it just seems to me that there is just simply not enough signal.
Unfortunately I was limited by the time between getting dark and Orion disappearing.
Very gentle processing below, taking care not to clip and making small adjustments each time, undoubtedly others could get more out.
That's better :D
Flats and Darks would sort the dust spots and dead pixel trails, and reduce the noise levels a lot.
I have some darks I think I can try. Must sort something for taking flats.
But I'd imagine this would come out a lot better with 1 minute subs at least ?
Yes, I think you're right.

Theres not enough signal. It has to be stretched loads to get any detail. Longer subs required (certainly for my rubbish processing skills anyway).
Yes, it needs more time. I had a quick try first off with a few different exposure times - I thought I chose the best.

The apparent noise is due to over stretching which brings out the variation in pixel sensitivity in the sensor chip, I reckon. The darks at those settings are well below the bottom end of the light histogram. The S/N ratio is fine but there is simply not enough signal.

I'm running DSS again and this time adding in the darks. I also found a few lights I had missed. I doubt the darks will make much difference as the dark signal is way below anything significant in the lights. Will remove any hot pixels, of course. There are 61 lights and 15 darks.

Actually, I'm quite pleased to have got an image in which I can see the flame and horsehead.

Actually, I'm quite pleased to have got an image in which I can see the flame and horsehead.

So you should be. You managed to find it, frame it, focus it, track it and photo it:icon_salut:.

Drop the ISO and get some longer subs and you're sorted.

A modded camera is certainly the way to go on that subject. I have tried to get the horse with an un-modded Nikon, and it is a real struggle.

Don't push the processing too much, as others have suggested, and get more photons to stack, and you should have a fine image, Gina !

Jim S.

The edits show that the initial processing was a little too much and also, I believe that the crop is too severe. I know that when I had my DSLR I wanted to crop everything in so that it was nice and big in the screen, but if you want a pretty picture, than I found that was not generally the way to go. A serious crop gave rise to all sorts of problems, such as lack of resolution and noise.

Better to have the target smaller and well presented as in the edits, in my opinion.

The edits show that the initial processing was a little too much and also, I believe that the crop is too severe. I know that when I had my DSLR I wanted to crop everything in so that it was nice and big in the screen, but if you want a pretty picture, than I found that was not generally the way to go. A serious crop gave rise to all sorts of problems, such as lack of resolution and noise.

Better to have the target smaller and well presented as in the edits, in my opinion.

Thank you Sara :D Yes, I think you're right. Here's another go with no cropping and less severe stretching.

Flame-4.jpg

Archived