Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Scope surprise

Okay, after replying to the sticky 'Essential reading for those thinking of getting into astronomy' where I stated that I would put off buying my first scope and learn a little more just using my bino's, Guess what happened during my lunch break?..I ordered my first scope!

Now, before anyone says I am fickle and undisciplined, I really think that article helped me come to my own conclusion as to which scope to get.

'Keep it simple' at first seemed to be the philosophy behind the article and this one particular piece of advice was the one that made the most sense to me. Before I read that article today, I had spent many weeks of Googling, asking questions, making review comparison's, forum trawling etc. after which I thought I'd cracked it after eventually whittling my choice down to 2 SW Synscan GOTO scopes. The 127 MAK and the 130P Newtonian.

The MAK? by all accounts a good planetary scope but apparently not good for DSO's (wouldn't see all of my current viewing favourite The Orion Nebula) but it would fit into the space available for storage.

The Newtonian? Still okay for both but a little larger.....Mmmm... difficult choice. Now, I like to look at planets, but I also like to look at DSO's.... So which is best?... (No, this is not going to turn into a Harry Hill TV Burp fight) The MAK or Newtonian on a GOTO?...

So taking all the above into consideration, I ordered neither of those and went for the SW Heritage 130P Dobsonian! :) Why? Simple, stable mount, allegedly good optics and it folds up for storage. It will also help with my earlier resolve to learn the sky more. I feel this scope will give me a little better viewing pleasure and knowledge without breaking the bank. Let's face it, I may regret spending a lot of money on something that may end up in the corner as an ornament if I do get fed up.

It just goes to prove what I have read so many times on the forums about doing your research and your first scope will pick itself!

Depending on the quality of the supplied eyepieces, I may need to splash out on some better ones, but I'd probably have to do that anyway if this hobby really takes off. As for the GOTO? Well, I'll just have to make my own brain and eyes perform that function.

Eyepieces?......Now, for some more research.

Nice choice.. I went for the Sky-watcher 130 after doing a little reading.. a decent quality scope for the beginner/intermediate... so I guess been a beginner it should serve me well for a while and also it fit my price range and I think that is important.. just in case like you say it ends up in a corner.

Have fun with:)

Great choice, enjoy your new scope! RE eyepieces, my advise would be to spend some time using the bundled ones for a while, they do work! Discovering their limitations for yourself will help you in making a decision about what to replace/ compliment them with. If you thought picking a scope was hard, get ready to tie your brain in knots trying to settle on eyepeices!

Nice feedback up to now, so I must be on the right track! Thanks for encouragement.

Just been looking at some ep prices :) Still, if the supplied ep's are okay, there'll be no rush to upgrade just yet anyway. Maybe a x2 Barlow?

How does this scope hold collimation?

The supplied 25mm is better than just ok. The 10mm shows some serious flaws with false colour (Venus looked like a disco ball!!), it kept me happy for a few weeks when I started out though.

Barlow the 10mm and my guess is you'll magnify the problems.

The Heritage 130P is a lovely first scope. As said above the 25mm is quite okay. I found the 10mm optically reasonable as well, it's not great but it'll do to get you started. I actually prefer it with a barlow as a longer eyerelief pseudo-5mm EP.

I bought the 130p a few weeks ago for the exact same reasons, wanted to start the hobby but not blow too much initially.

After using the supplied ep's i found that they were both quite good, seemed better then people make out, probably because i havent compared them to anything else yet :).

After a few days of observing I decided I wanted to see the planets a bit better so bought a skywatcher 2x barlow and skywather 7.5mm plossl. Really pleased with both of these, showed the planets a lot better and give nice views of the moon.

Sion

Alan you are fickle and undisciplined, go stand in the corner of the room!:):D:D

No you have done the right thing, you researched what's on offer with the budget that is available and you made a good decision. As said above, stick with the existing eyepieces and perhaps join your local astro club or observing group to experiment with other folks eyepieces to see what suits you and the difference that they make. A lot of the expensive glass you have already see is in part to do with the available field of view, sharpness of the view to the edge, free from aberrations and contrast levels. It is very much a personal decision and is best researched through experience. Having said that, if you want to get a good performing 2x barlow, you might want to think about this offering from Tal (£36) and is very popular item from Russia who are very well respected for their optics.

Clear skies

James

Great choice Alan, I don't think you'll regret it - You've hit the nail on the head with 'Your first scope will choose itself.' I went through the same process and ended up making the same choice you did & am more than pleased.

There are a few of us learning the ropes on the 130p flextube and if you fish around this section of the forum, there are a couple of threads addressing newbie type issues which you may come across sooner or later.

Good luck, clear skies & a steady hand.

Thanks for the heads up on the TAL x2 Barlow. It seems to be just what I may need, but I'm going to wait until I get my scope and see how I get on with it.

Problem is now that FLO have informed me that the scope will be coming straight from the manufacturer so I don't know if that means a few weeks wait or not! :)

Still, with the weather being the way it is, I wouldn't be able to use it yet anyway :)

Alan I wouldn't worry about delivery delays form Optical Vision Ltd (as the U.K's importer of Skywatcher equipment) as they are pretty good. In some cases it is quicker for them to deliver to you than to the shop and then out to you. But I know how frustrating it feels when you just want to get out there and some observing!:D:D:D

Clear skies soon and a big new box on your doorstep.

James

Alan,

The 130p was my first scope, super choice to begin with, you'll have a blast with it. No need to immediately upgrade the eyepieces, have a play with the existing ones first, they are okay to start you off.

You'll want a solid table to rest it on and a camping mat for the summer maybe, it's a great scope.

Chris

Firstly I want to say thanks to Chris and other posters who have commented on the the supplied eyepieces which seem to give mixed results. I wonder how many of the problems, or should I say lack of quality, experienced with the 10mm is down to other factors such as collimation and light pollution issues?

Secondly, I would like to apologise to all (especially any youngsters) for the inclusion of my new Avatar! I'll remove it if it proves too disturbing! :D:D

Archived