Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

MWAS - Mid-Wales Astronomy Society.

Thanks LJ - gonna have to do a bit of research before I (we) set off on a group meet and I agree probably Autumn is the better idea.

I pass signs for Lleyn Briane when I go through Llandovery to the South of Claerwen - perhaps this is the best route to take - plenty of time to get my barings - I'm not planning any off roading so doesn't sound like access from Tregaron is an option - thanks for the heads up though.

Thanks LJ - gonna have to do a bit of research before I (we) set off on a group meet and I agree probably Autumn is the better idea.

I pass signs for Lleyn Briane when I go through Llandovery to the South of Claerwen - perhaps this is the best route to take - plenty of time to get my barings - I'm not planning any off roading so doesn't sound like access from Tregaron is an option - thanks for the heads up though.

Llyn Brianne might be a good observing option anyway? Not been there for a few years but it has a few car parks for anglers and picnic areas dotted around.

I have been there once actually - but from what I remember we were quite high up but surrounded by conifers- its not as far and the access is probably better so it may well be worth doing a bit of further research

Getting a good southern horizon might be a problem as you say due to trees and also the steep valley sides. Worth a recce though I guess?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. Nice to see there are more Mid Wales Sky watchers. I'm very much a beginner myself. South Powys - Crickhowell. Skies are fairly dark here though street lights, as everywhere, are a problem. I'll keep watching your threads , as well as the skies

Welcome to SGL, Trej. Nice bit of kit you've bought yourself,by the way.

I'm about 30 miles (crow-fly distance) NW from you. I do occasionally go over to Crickhowell (that's where my NHS dentist is - next visit is in 3 weeks time!;)).

There seem to be a few people interested in getting together for an astro evening on the Eppynt (see earlier posts in this thread). That's just down the road for me, and shouldn't be too far for you?

All we need is a decent and reliable forecast of fair weather, and someone to organise it!

I'm North Powys / Gwynedd - Machynlleth.

Would be great if something happened - you do kind of feel like the only astronomer for hundreds of miles when you're out here! Having said that I also spend time in Stratford-upon-Avon on a regular basis and there the abundance of astronomers is counteracted by the abundance of streetlights :/

Ah, so the choices are lonely and dark or bright company :)

Would be great if something happened - you do kind of feel like the only astronomer for hundreds of miles when you're out here! Having said that I also spend time in Stratford-upon-Avon on a regular basis and there the abundance of astronomers is counteracted by the abundance of streetlights :/

Ah, so the choices are lonely and dark or bright company :headbang:

You're not alone! Another astronomer in Aberdovey...:)

There seem to be another in Carmarthen too. He's posted in the 'Welcome' section. Praps I ought to give him a link to this thread?

Do it! We're few and far between, might as well get as many in as poss, even if Camarthen is a bit distant!

just not fair - all those lovely non light polluted skies and so few of you using it lol

Well then buy me a house or find somewhere where I can have an assured tenancy, and I'll make use of those dark skies!! :)

Seriously considering moving well within the right side of the Welsh border but am currently finding it difficult.

Edited by Beulah

Ah, so the choices are lonely and dark or bright company :)

Think of it as an 'open cluster' of astronomers rather than a 'globular cluster'

just not fair - all those lovely non light polluted skies and so few of you using it lol

The fact there are so few people here is why the sky is dark.

Simple equation..........People = Light Pollution.

Edited by laser_jock99

I have a static van just outside Mach , spend a lot of time down there from March to September so count me in for the Dovey section :)

I have pipe dreams one day of modding a static or winnebago into a nice roomy obsy :headbang: If it was mobile, could be like an Astro Road Show!