Eyepiece Kit for Skywatcher

Hello - sorry but I know nothing about telescopes as im a busy mum to 3 month old twin boys. Last year we bought Daddy a telescope - Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145P. For fathers day this year we would like to buy him some eyepieces. The shop we bought the telescope from has two kits - a Celestron and a Revelation - which should I choose. Ive had a quick look on the internet and it says it depends on the lens length but I havent a clue.

Could someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction please. Kind regards Katie

Hi Katie,I haven't tried either of them kits but I did ask about them a few weeks ago and the general advise I was told pointed me to the revelation kit.They said the quality was better.

Hopefully someone will be along shortly that's tried them.

Danny.

as dannny says the revelations get good review's [think a few post's suggest the eyepiece's are made in same factory under diffrent branding ] many will suggest the bst range with maybe a decent barlow for about same price as the celestron kit, but it will be a personal judgement ,The coloured filter's seem to be a bit of a novelty in these kit's as only the moon filter and maybe red get used . There are good second hand deals to be found on the U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell site [as long as you don't mind second hand ] also the baader hyperion zoom at about 180 quid gets a lot of thumbs up from peep's on here .

it's true that the shorter focal length the better the eyepiece's need to be ,an f/10 is very forgiving to cheap eyepiece's but a faster f/5 may show up the flaw in the eyepiece , i have af/5.9 200p and the eyepiece's are ok [skywatcher make] however i am not sure the celestron kit and the revelation kit eyepiece's are that far apart ,apart from price [150-60 as against 125]

Oh my goodness - its all too technical :)

Think I will write them both on pieces of paper and let the twins choose for me :)

if it was my choice i would go for the revelation kit but i'm sure whatever one you get he'll be very happy with [especiallly with a home made card]

The Revelation set would be more useful as the 1145P is a very fast scope at f/4.4, so the ep's at 9mm upwards will get more use, also I believe this set is cheaper. BTW I have the Celestron set, but still recommend the Revelation, more flexible IMO.

not to throw to big a curve ball in at this stage but maybe consider a zoom eye piece as well? the Baader Mk3 zoom gets much better reviews than the EP kits usually?

apart from the complaint's on this forum regarding the mark 3 sticking after a few month's

p.s i had already mentioned it on the 3rd post:)

I'll add another vote for the Revelation kit. Never used the Celestron ones, but I've had a lot of use out of all of the lenses in the Revelation kit I bought, though I believe they've changed the kit slightly since I bought mine, adding a barlow and dropping one of the shorter focal length lenses I believe.

James

Archived