Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

e.p.s again

faulksy

heres a small review i come across. dont know if its of any help.

-----------------------

" recently purchased a pair of the MEADE 5000 HD 60° FOV eyepieces in 12mm and 26mm. I received these a week ago but the weather wouldn’t allow me a decent chance for a first light until this past Tuesday night.

I’ll start with the packaging and build. The HD-60 Series are a very nicely built eyepiece. The Meades were delivered in a nice box with a custom foam insert and each includes 2 covers that fit securely. These eyepieces are large for 1.25” but didn’t cause any balance issues on my AD10 Dob. They have a rotating eyepiece cup which rotates very smoothly to accommodate the preferred eye placement and the barrels are undercut for security as well. They have a solid feel and I could tell right away that they were manufactured under tight tolerances.

"It was finally time for some observing under some welcomed cloudless skies. For my first view I chose The Orion Nebula. I thought the contrast was comparable to my Explore Scientific 70° series and both were so similar on axis that I would have to call it a draw. The eye relief is very generous on the Meades with a listed 17mm of relief; I had no problem viewing while wearing my glasses. The 26mm performed splendidly on M1 (Crab Nebula), M42 (Orion Nebula), M13 (Hercules Cluster)and M104 (Sombrero Galaxy). I have no doubt that this 26mm will become one of my DSO favorites as its performance was excellent on these targets delivering views with clarity and detail. I used the 12mm to view a couple of DSOs, M13 and M42, and both objects appeared razor sharp across the field. On brighter targets such as Venus and Mars I did notice some slight astigmatism in the outer 20% FOV as I allowed them to drift across the eyepiece. It wasn’t anything that jumped out at me but being that I was looking for such issues, it was there. I’m not an avid planetary observer and I bought the 12mm for close-up work on Planetary Nebula and Globular Clusters so I was still very satisfied with its performance. Overall, I like these eyepieces a lot and think that for around $80 a piece the build and performance of the Meade HD-60 series warrant serious consideration when searching for a wide view eyepiece that won’t break the bank. "

thank you so much to the 2 of you for the feed back, i no i keep going around in circles with this but am going to order tuesday originaly wanted a 12.5 bgo but cant get them anymore so looking for a similar e.p. and if it had a larger fov that would be great. cant afford anything silly yet thats why bgo was great and the pentax x-f thanks guys sorry to keep going around in circles regards mike

it just beats me that they cost £80 ,in the states $80 . i know taxes ,blah blah, but jeez.

mind, you can get them for under £60 if you are prepared to get them from e-bay ( u.s seller) many arn't keane though.

I've bought direct from a couple of US etailers, prompt service and better price. Not yet had to return one though.

I can't say I understand the import business, but the £30 difference between UK and US can't be all tax... VAT on £80 only works out to £13 diff.

How about giving a Radian a go Mike?

tempted derek quite like the nagglers. one sold on the bay for just over £150 last night. theres a 13mm naggler on there now might be in with a chance of that one, i was going to order an e.p. tommorrow but might wait now:confused:

Hi

Just to let you know buying things from the USA can be a advantage,some times

remember you have to pay on top of you purchase

VAT 20% plus postage and handling charges about £10 to£15.00depending on weight VAT handling chages you pay the delivery guy at you door hope this helps add up costs then check UK prices

Meade and Televue, USA sellers will not sell to the UK Meade and Televue stopped it

so they will be sold in the UK by UK sellers this is what I was told by OPT

clear skies

Archived