NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

VdB catalogue

eddy

Hey guys, ive noticed that no 1 really images the VdB catalogue of reflection nebula's? Is this becuase they are difficult targets? Or just not very sort after? ;)

Many thanks :)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they're amazing and more visually appealing that the Emission nebula, but i pressume a little more tricky to image! ;)

Makes it all the more appealing i think. I also feel that they have a lot more depth to image, almost 3D like :)

Be good to see your posted once you've got it completed, whats the course you are doing? ;)

Superb Helen! ;)

Sounds good, id really like to do some Uni/Study work, i done A-Level in physics and never really persued it more, but i think now is a good a' time as any really :)

I think you will find VdB catalogue objects are very difficult to image, mostly becuase they are dark nebulas. And how do you photograph something thats black in the blackness of space? The answer is with loads of subs and a dark site, a very fast telescope also helps.

Youre relying on capturing the stars behind or within the nebula to show it up, though they are quite spectacular once captured. I had a go at NGC1333 (which includes vdB 17) earlier in the year with Andy in a co-op and found it very difficult indeed. Have a go at NGC7023 (probably the easiest of them), and you will know what i mean :icon_salut:

The "hardcore" version of NGC1333 can be found here:

http://tvdavisastropics.com/astroimages-1_000033.htm

Truly magnificent!

I started to image NGC1333 (its a fave LOL) and only managed to catch 20mins of 60sec subs before it went below the tree line but it started to reveal a 'glow' around the main star within NGC1333....that got me somewhat hooked.

And the fact i dont have a modded DSLR or a CCD so was hoping reflection nebs were more up my street!

Thanks for the reply Rob, appreciated. I also looked at NGC7023 so will deffinately give this a go, i did look at it last time, but got distracted by 1333 lol :icon_salut:

Ok :icon_salut: but dont say I didnt warn you! Andy and I threw 70x600 subs at it in luminence (with a CCD) and it only just scratched the surface in terms of getting the really dark stuff. Being at F6.3 didnt help, but it really needs a dark sky to get anything out of it.

post-18171-133877757886_thumb.jpg

They are slow going. You need a fast F ratio or a lot of time, viz...

VdB141-GHOST-NEBULA-20-HRSV4-S.jpg

Above is 20 hours at F7. Below, 1333 as a first light beset by difficulties regarding binning with the H36 but Yves and I will certainly be back to do 1333 properly...

NGC1333-LRGB-85HRS-WEB-S.jpg

The king of dust is Harel Boren with his fast Powernewt and he knows how to deal with these as well.

Olly

WOW superb thanks for the reply Olly :icon_salut:

I have an F7.5 scope, think this would be fast enough? Also, would my 350D (unmodded) be up for the task? I dont mind spending 20+ hours on a target, as long as the outcome MAY be worth it! lol

In the 5/6 sessions i have had imaging, i have learnt that:

a) Its really not as easy as you think and..

B) You need a lot of time and patience, both of which i have in abundance :D

Thanks again everyone for the replies ;)

PS > Olly great images B)

Dark site, im darker than most but not REALLY dark lol

Ill give it a go either way, its a challenge and for me, thats what its all about! :icon_salut:

Thanks again guys

I'm going on a field trip to Mallorca and using the observatory scopes (12 inch Meade SCTs I think). I hope they have some reducers as it sounds like f10 is not ideal! even under dark skies.

Helen

I can imagine that they're quite vast spectacles to, but well worth the effort i imagine! :icon_salut:

That sounds like a great field trip to me Helen, little bit jealous here ;) lol :D

Archived