Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My new WO66 First Light

daz

A very quick blast....

Stuck it on the rickety camera tripod and got a quick look at the moon before it ducked behind the trees out front.

Very nice! Sharp details and with the blue sky, gave a very haunting view.

Only got time to use the 26mm (15x), but I bet the higher powers would have been a real treat at this phase!

Onto Jupiter then. Again, at 15x and still with a blue background, the disc was well defined even given the amount of atmosphere between us! The four moons were bright points of light and stood out wonderfully. Further out from Callisto was a star, which I reckon to have been Omega Ophiuchi.

I did get a chance to up the power to the 14mm (27x) and 5.5 (70x) and the view just got better! The 14mm showed banding in moments of clarity, which I had not expected but was pleased to see.

The 5.5mm showed some clearer detail, again I was surprised given the low declination and the small aperture. Of course, at that magnification on an undriven mount, it fair whizzed across the FOV.

All in all, very pleased and can't wait to get cameras hooked up and it on a driven mount!

I have a ton of work to get done but I'm really tempted to pop out again - I can see a couple of gaps........ :D

Archived