Casini Division

Another wonderful sky last night. I started later so I could devote my session mostly to Saturn.

I was determined to see the Casini Division, but I'm not really sure whether I succeeded or not. I could just about discern a darkening at the outer edges of the rings, it was very faint and not as central as I would have expected.

I know my scope's not the best for planetary viewing, (Nextsar SE8) but I was able to easily pick up other impressive details. I could see the shadow cast on the rings by Saturn, as well as the shadow of the rings on Saturn. There was some nice banding too. So why no Casini division?

Are my expectations to high? Is it easier to see when Saturn isn't too low? Are my eyepieces wanting? (used celestron omnis: 25mm, 15mm and 9mm) do I need another scope for planets?

All hints, tips and advice are welcome. :-)

It sounds like the views you had were pretty good John, as the seeing hasn't been great the last few nights. It will probably take a few goes and good seeing for you to get a good view of Casini; a lot of it is about being persistent with your observations, but it will happen :(

I can only see the cassini division around the sides of the rings but not the middle.

It is clear on the ring as it goes around Saturn, very clear.

I saw at least 4 moons too for certain, possibly 7 though... couldnt say for sure so not including them yet.

I saw the rings shadow along the bottom(top) of saturn which looked stunning and the shadow on the rings from saturn is my favourite bit :(

Hi Guys, should be easily dooable in an 8" but the seeing has a lot to do with it, starting from the outer edge of the rings and moving inwards towards the globe, firstly you have the A ring, then Cassini's division, then the B ring.

Going from memory in my LX90 Cassini is easily visible, but remember you need to observe Saturn when its at its highest point (due South) in the sky to catch it at its best.

Not seen Saturn myself yet. I only have my 127mm Mak at the moment (still waiting for my CPC 1100 to arrive AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH - the wait is killing me). Think I may struggle with the Mak, but with a little patience I may catch a glimpse of Cassini's division when conditions allow. Cheers Paul.

cassini is easier to see currently than the last few years and the rings are starting to open up nicely. I should think you have seen the Cd already but need to learn how it appears and you are already doing that.

when Saturn is a little higher (I think opposition is about mid-April) you'll see it cleasrly with patience around the outer quarter of the rings and hopefully then be able to trace it a little further in. When the seeing cleans up and you have your eye in you'll see it very clearly I think.

It was really quite clear the other night with my 16" dob (masked down to 6") the other night. Keep at it, you'll get it. Sometimes more magnification makes it easier to see even if the image is generally mushy.

To do more than glimpse the Cassini division needs good, steady seeing conditions and a well cooled and collimated scope.

My ED120 refractor showed the division well a couple of nights ago, but I was only getting glimpses of it last night, due to slightly poorer seeing.

Earlier this week I was blessed with consecutive nights of excellent viewing of Saturn. The first night was with my 102 mm f/11 (F = 1100 mm) achromat and the second night was with my 8" f/4.9 (F = 1000 mm) newt. Each night I observed Saturn for about an hour as it approached the meridian. Each night the best view (my opinion) was with my Hyperion 10 mm and 28 mm tuning ring. And each night Cassini's Division was continously visible. Perhaps most remarkable was that the views with each scope were indistinguishable from each other.

My ED120 refractor showed the division well a couple of nights ago, but I was only getting glimpses of it last night, due to slightly poorer seeing.

That's pretty much the same as me using a 150 newt. Really patchy seeing up until 2am and then about 10 minutes of excellent viewing. Then the wind picked up so I packed up and went home. Worth it tho.:(

Archived