Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet Garradd

excuse the spelling - but has anyone had any luck observing it yet?

I tried last night from my back garden which is a frustrating experience due to the trees and light pollution but if the clouds stay away might drive the 40 odd miles to a dark sky site to have another go this evening

I caught it on Tues, but it was right on the limit of my averted vision in an Explorer 200p and 24mm EP. 15 seconds exposure with the SPC900 gave a better view tho..

Steve

I caught this one on the weekend. Supposedly rated at magnitude 6.5 but I found it at least one feinter than that. It looked like a lop-sided globular cluster to me.

It is just above the Plough at the moment so hopefully should be reasonably easy to locate again. I think it is meant to drop by half a magnitude by the end of the month.

Good luck with it!

I spotted it ages ago as it was passing the coathanger, am I right in thinking it's coming up on Ursa Major now?

That's correct - I saw it near M71 last summer. Right now it is near the "pointers" in Ursa Major (very close to Dubhe).

Fast forward to the 3:00 minute mark in this video for more:

Archived