Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Think I got a bargain here

jfox61

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Thought i was going to have to fork out for a new one, but I couldn't sleep last night so went on ebay and this popped up as I was viewing. I took a punt and offered £500 instead of the buy it now £600, lo and behold the guy accepted my first offer. I probably would have paid the full £600 if he'd insisted.

I was aware it was only the eq6 and I did see that goto on astrosell, it's been on a while now. But I bought a goto system a few weeks ago for £100 inc postage, I would have had to drive to Birmingham for that goto system plus about £40 petrol means I've saved about £200 as the petrol to collect this will be about £10 return trip. It was actually the pedestal that swung it for me. Anyone have any knowledge of the Unitron brand pedestals?

Had a cracked screen, repaired it with some thin perspex I have in the house for my modelling, and a connector was broken, an easy fix. I don't kow what he done with the mount though as it was listed as used but with no mount. Depending on which bits are Aluminium I don't think it will be an issue. I reckon it the main post and legs will be steel and the fittings aluminium.

Even with a cracked screen you had a bargain there. The upgrade is easy enough to do How to install EQ6 GOTO upgrade kit - ScopeYard and you can always sell the old motors and controller off the standard EQ6 ;) One thing I would be sure to check is that the ALT bolts are not jammed as there has obviously been a large scope on the mount at some point to deem extra counter weights necessary and the standard bolts are notorious for bending.

Even with a cracked screen you had a bargain there. The upgrade is easy enough to do How to install EQ6 GOTO upgrade kit - ScopeYard and you can always sell the old motors and controller off the standard EQ6 ;) One thing I would be sure to check is that the ALT bolts are not jammed as there has obviously been a large scope on the mount at some point to deem extra counter weights necessary and the standard bolts are notorious for bending.

He does say only 7hrs use so probably won't be a problem, if it is I'll get the Brother in law to knock me up some steel bolts at work. There are advantages to having a Brother in Law working at the NPL:D

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Thought i was going to have to fork out for a new one, but I couldn't sleep last night so went on ebay and this popped up as I was viewing. I took a punt and offered £500 instead of the buy it now £600, lo and behold the guy accepted my first offer. I probably would have paid the full £600 if he'd insisted.

I only paid £400 for my old EQ6. Second hand astro gear seems to be going for a premium these days- I blame Star Gazing Live!

I waited months for a Syntrek/goto NEQ6 to come up but they all sold for nearly new prices. In the end I bought a new one.

Archived