Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just got my first scope and decided to register - Hi!

imzo

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys and thanks for all the advice/ support, and for making me feel welcome here in the lounge - this really is a great community :)

Im not actually sure if there is a local astro club where i live - in live in St Helens, Merseyside.

I have tested the scope during the day, and the i can get pretty good fucus on distant objects - it still isnt as clear as the finder scope - still a bit foggy looking - which gets worse the higher the mag... While not pin sharp like the finder scope, i can still read the barcode on a beer can approx 100m away reasonably clearly. I was reading that CA can cause objects to look out of fucus, and that reducng CA with a filter can improve how sharp objects look and help with focusing. I wish the main scope had the contrast of the finder scope because in comparison the OTA has very low contrast - it was my understanding that refractors have fairly high contrast.

Anyway - i got an email from FLO saying my Semi-APO filter is on its way, so i will report back when ive tried that.

Again thanks for the support guys;)

Hi Guys.

Got the Semi-APO filter yesterday, and had a chance to try it last night. And TBH i have to say i was actually rather disappointed with the filter, as far as i could see it made VERY little to no difference at all - in fact im not sure it made any difference. Still getting very bright blue/ violet halos around objects with the filter on - i am considering returning it to FLO and get my £60 back, one of the worst purchases i have ever made in my opinion. Or maybe i got a dud filter...?

I am at a point were i am considering selling the Evo 150 and instead buy either an explorer 200 or 250p - would the view through either a 200 or 250p be comparable to the evo 150, just minus the CA? Or is there some relatively inexpensive way of improving the view through the evo?

Thanks Again.

Have you tried letting the scope cool to ambient temperature outdoors first? It was suggested to me here and you will be surprised the difference it makes! I stand mine outdoors now 20 minutes before viewing and also allows my eyes to adjust to the darker outdoors. Have a look about first, then go to the scope later. It does make a difference.

If not, then as suggested here, the collimation may be off.

Good luck andn keep at it :blob10:

Scott.

Hi Welrod50

Yes i have allowed the scope to cool to ambient temperature for about 30 mins before viewing but it doesnt make much difference.

I am not sure if the collimation is out - as i said i did remove the lens cell to clean the lenses with lens cleaning fluid as they were quite dirty, so it is likely that the collimation may be out - but im not sure how to tell... There was a collimating eyepiece with the scope but im not sure what to do with it.

Had a nice clear night last night, and could properly test the Semi APO filter i got - and strangely i actualy found the view better without the filter, if anything i thought the CA was worse with the filter...

Also i find that if i look through the eyepiece at an angle it changes the focus slightly and also the CA - is that an indication the scope needs collimating?

Thanks Again for the advice and support :blob10:

Archived