Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mak Mountings

Are Maks always mounted underneath? I will re-phase that, are they ever side mounted? Are these mountings always bolted on?

On a different topic how much light is an ED100 that a TAL 100RS and would one be more stable on an AZ 4 than a TAL. It never bothered me before but there are a few shakes in vision a hig mags thats starting to annoy me ;)

My mak came with tube rings, allowing me to side mount it on an AZ4. I get the impression those tube rings are hard to come by though.

Sent from my HTC Legend using Tapatalk

...On a different topic how much light is an ED100 that a TAL 100RS and would one be more stable on an AZ 4 than a TAL.....

The ED100 Pro optical tube weighs 3.4kg. I can't recall the weight of a TAL 100 but I reckon it's more than that.

I find my AZ-4 will carry my ED120 for short sessions - I have the steel legged version of the AZ-4.

The ED100 Pro optical tube weighs 3.4kg. I can't recall the weight of a TAL 100 but I reckon it's more than that.

I find my AZ-4 will carry my ED120 for short sessions - I have the steel legged version of the AZ-4.

Mine is 11bs with dovetail and tube rings, I think its about 4 inches longer than an ED

I have my 150 mak on the side on my AZ4 (Steel legs)

It means your finder is on your lower left instead of upper left.

Not a problem for me and its pretty steady.

Like John, I also had an ED120 on it. It was useable but definately at its max with that, as it wobbled a bit at higher mags

I've read a review on FLO's website of someone saying the Mak180 was steady as a rock on it.

Mmmm..I know it's shorter than than the ED120, but it weighs in at nearly 8 kilos.

The ED120 weighs 5.2 kilos.

Yikes. I think thats too much personally

I think the TAL weighs about the same as the ED120. I have started doing a lot more planetary work and suddenly the little tremmers are becoming an issue, when I am observing open clusters (which I just love to observe in a refractor) its not a problem, in fact there is no problem. My Problem is I really like the mount and feel sligtly wedded to it, same goes with 4 inch refracters (I also live in a small cottage) Sadly a possiable re-think on OTA's might be happening, I would be wecome any suggestions (sub £1000)

That's the thing. I love my mount too, and would hate the thought of lugging an eq5 around again with those counterweights.

A 6" SCT (possibly 8") may be the best solution if you want to keep the same mount.

Better light grasp for a start.

OK for star clusters and enough magnification for planets

I'd miss those refractor views though ;)

Which is the bigger source of vibration, the az4 head or the tripod?

A few hand taps on the mount & legs whilst observing the wobble factor at the ep should ascertain the biggest culprit.

If its the legs~ well its always possible to buy or make sturdier legs, or even better, maybe even a permanent pier in the garden? just unbolting the head when you're done for the night.

Just a thought.

My apologies, I was under the impression that he was wanting a more general purpose scope to see wider star clusters and planets hence my recommendation for an SCT for the AZ4.

If it's soley lunar and planetary (with the odd DSO) then yes, the 127 Mak is deffo the one to go for without a doubt. A cracking scope for it's size.

Which is the bigger source of vibration, the az4 head or the tripod?

A few hand taps on the mount & legs whilst observing the wobble factor at the ep should ascertain the biggest culprit.

If its the legs~ well its always possible to buy or make sturdier legs, or even better, maybe even a permanent pier in the garden? just unbolting the head when you're done for the night.

Just a thought.

It all feels very stable to honest, it looks stable, nothing close to a wobble can be seen. its the head I think, the legs are rock solid and I believe are the same legs as an EQ5. Its the length of the scope I would say, its also 11lbs in weight. Its a real shame as I really like both scope and mount. I don't want to throw money at something which is not quite right. I also know myself well enough to know I dont want a EQ mount, I love the simplity of the AZ 4 and a fract

The ED80 is rock steady on an AZ4 with Steel legs.

The ED120 looks and performs ok up to a point. Wobbles a bit at high mags

ED100 is same length as ED100 but 2kg lighter.

Anyone had an ED100 on an AZ4? What's it like?

The ED80 is rock steady on an AZ4 with Steel legs.

The ED120 looks and performs ok up to a point. Wobbles a bit at high mags

ED100 is same length as ED100 but 2kg lighter.

Anyone had an ED100 on an AZ4? What's it like?

That is really what I want to know before I go spending loads of money I don't really have. The ED 120 is the same weight as my TAL.

Its funny the tiny bit of CA from my scope is not an issue but my little tremmers at high mags drives me potty...and I spend most of my time observing clusters!! An ED would be nice though

That is really what I want to know before I go spending loads of money I don't really have. The ED 120 is the same weight as my TAL.

Its funny the tiny bit of CA from my scope is not an issue but my little tremmers at high mags drives me potty...and I spend most of my time observing clusters!! An ED would be nice though

Panic over, I seem to have got into the habbit of extending the legs to the top of the pod, lowered them 6 nches and the job is a good un, thats all it took, very relieved, sorry for wasting everyones time, I never used to extend everything to the top of the pod. It always amazes me how a very small thing can have a very large effect on astro gear ;)

Archived