Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

best rangefinder for 200p

Would really like to say just count the distance as infinite for everything.:):D

Assume finder scope is the question.

If you are not a subtle as previously I guess that a telrad finder would fit the bill. You look down into one, so don't have to contort into an odd position or as close as you do to the eyepiece end of a finder. Having looked at them they should be easy to mount and use similar to the scope eyepiece, you may not need to actually get you eye that close to view through it.

Have a look at FLO and put telrad in the search panel, easiest way to display what one looks like.

Only point I will say is that different people like different finders. It is even worse then recommending eyepieces.

I'm in the same situation, I like my finder scope and find it very accurate so I like the idea of the right angled finder but I have heard good things about Telrads so I'm not sure. Personally I would like to see a Telrad in action so I think maybe a trip to an astro society, someone's bound to have one.

The Orion 9x50 right angle correct image finder is very useful and a great back strain saver. Skywatcher do an identical model also that differs only in colour.

A telrad is very useful because you can use both eyes (one on the sky and one in the instrument) to find stuff. It doesn't magnify but has a variable illuminated reticle with two concentric circles that enable you to compare the view with star maps for star hopping. I have both on my dob :)

the Telrad also comes with a 4 Inch riser so you can raise ir from the OTA and don't have to bend down so much - the base can be put on the tube with pads - theres no drilling if you don't want to and the rest of the Telrad including the riser can be removed if you want to in transit

stevetynant-albums-gear-picture16240-feb-12-059.jpg

Hi Ya, I've used the right angled finder from Orion (right angled correct image) same view as my Sky Atlas 2000 charts so what you see in the sky is what you see on the charts - so easy to find your way around the constellations with a dobby. I have a red dot finder on my Celestron 127 Mak - really poorly made and not really any good for star hopping - but may have a lot to do with the sky - really light polluted here in the Midlands so the red dot is against a really bright sky with very limiting magnitude is only good to find the brightest stars in each constellation (then switch the finder off and use GOTO).

Not really used the telrad so can't comment - but if your star hopping the RACI finder is ideal, you may need to buy a saddle to fit to your scope - not sure - I had a revelation 12" dob and it fitted onto the original finder bracket - but on the Meade LX90, I needed the adaptor to fit on the original saddle.

Archived