Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepieces for Televue 101 4inch refractor

Graphic

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Paul, you will have to remember that using the Powermate will increase your lens mag X4 so if you had a 20mm optic for instance, used with the unit, you would have the equivalent of a 6mm eye piece, the Powermate`s are held by the designer not to cause any deterioration of the resulting image and are used widely by many imaging Astronomers in photography. Most people use a unit of less power called a Barlow, of 2X or 3X to compliment a set of ep`s to make up a series of magnifications to suit their needs. Your Powermate will really only be useful with ep`s of 20mm or larger, otherwise you will be exceeding the limits of your scope, which is very nice indeed by the way :)

John.

Hi Glowjet,

Thanks for your advice, I was thinking of the 24mm ep together with 17mm and probably a 9mm. You can also get an adapter to fit a dlsr straight to the 4 X powermate too. Its something to consider.

Thank

Paul

If you are budgeting for three hyperions then new this would be around £300.

For that you could buy three top quality eyepieces - I'd suggest at around f5 no more than 25mm. at that focal length / ratio and aperture, maybe go for a 25mm (22x) TV Plossl (about £50 used), a 9mm (60x) BGO (about £50 used) and then with the 'remaining' £200 a 3-6mm (90x-180x) nagler zoom (used).

Personally, I'd sooner have a smaller and better field, especially with such a great scope.

I'm with Shane. A scope like that deserves top class optics. I'd be looking for a few TV plossls / Baader Ortho's while I save the pennies for the Panoptics / Naglers / Ethos that the scope was designed for. The 3mm-6mm Nagler zoom would also be a wonderful addition, when budget allows.

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

HI Dana, Moonshane, Adam & John,

Thanks for all the good advice. I have indeed decided to buy TV ep's, when I can. I have had time to think this over and all advice given has been duly noted. I now think it is counter productive to put mid range ep's onto a high range telescope. Its like buying a top range pro dslr and then attaching cheap lenses to it, its not going to give you the results the camera is capable of. I will look at the items for sale which you have linked, Adam.

Thanks for all your advice

Paul

You would be surprised how happy you can be in the short to medium term with just one or two magnifications available to you. If I were you, I would get a 24 panoptic (used) and trade in your powermate (by selling it) for a 2.5x powermate (1 1/4 inch) or a 2x powermate (2" inch). Panoptics are less expensive than some of the super premium televues, but the image quality is great and more important, they are really comfortable to use. You can really move your eye around and explore the view--much more effectively than with Naglers and Ethos.

When Stephen O'Meara (one of the great observers of our time) set out to observe all the Messier Objects for his famous book, he used ONLY a 4" Televue scope, a 22 panoptic (since replaced by the 24), a 7 Nagler, and a 1.8 times barlow (I'm guessing this was the Astro-physics Barcon). That's a pretty good recommendation in my book.

So I'm suggesting you take it slow, and keep your Eps in line with the quality of your scope.

Hi Glowjet,

Is the quality of image great through this adapter attached to a dslr. This is for prime photography through the telescope as I understand?

Thanks

Hi Paul, yes is the answer and you can stack them, as for the adapter, I am afraid I am unable to comment, as I have not used mine yet, although it came with the unit. There is much photographic evidence which shows the value of the Powermates especially in Planetary imaging. I think you have made the correct decision by holding out for TV lenses, but I must say I had the opportunity recently to purchase an Explore Scientific 100 deg 14mm ep, as they were a special price recently at $100 off list. With the exchange rate at the time, it cost me less than £185, kindly brought over by my friend who works in the States. We have compared this with the 13mm Ethos and to my old eyes and those of some younger folks, there is little or no difference, except the price. The quality of these lenses is superb, which is why I suggested in an earlier thread to have a look at this companies 82 deg types :)

John

Hi Adam,

The 24mm Panoptic is definitely on my list. I am now looking at the TV Plossl's suggested by Moonshane backed by John and yourself. Never thought about the TV zoom, so will check that out too. Also looking at the Explore Scientific, as recommended by Glowjet, but at the moment I have been swayed to the Televue ep's. I will just have to extend the budget that little further to include some second hand TV ep's when ever available.

I would just like to thank everybody for their advice in this discussion, It has made me think clearer and pinpoint exactly where I should be aiming for. I am really pleased I joined and asked the question. Such great advice shared.

A big thank you for all welcome messages too.

Paul

The TV 8-24mm zoom is made by Vixen for TV. It's a decent zoom but the Hyperion zoom seems to at least match it in reviews I've read. It costs around £80 used.

The Nagler zooms are in a different league though and there are no optical compromises at all to speak off - they rival a set of Baader Ortho's in contrast and sharpness. They are 50 degree AFoV eyepieces though, not the 82 deg of the fixed focal length Naglers.

Archived