Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

More accidental damage!

Hi folks!

Following on from dropping my refractor the other week, I have now damaged the Dec motor from my EQ5 mount :hello2:

Just have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help with?

1. Here is a picture of the offending motor. Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the busted circuit board piece? And if so, where might I get one from?

bustedo.png

2. If it's not repairable, will I be ok to run with just the R.A motor for now? I am thinking AP here, so I guess it's about being accurate enough with a single axis motor?

Thanks, and any advice most appreciated as always :)

Looks repairable to me, just solder on another socket etc.

If you want to send it to me I will try and repair it for you free as long as you pay the postage of course :)

That's very kind of you :)

The circuit board (green one) has snapped at the point just above where it's screwed to the body. I'm guessing that that's what you're calling the socket? The grey plastic bit that all the wires have torn out of is also a part of it. Are the sockets easily obtainable? Thanks. CW

P.S The writing on the circuit board says FZ06 PCB 98.03.23

Yeah you can get sockets or salvage them, most things can be repaired with a bit of effort. I don't work due to illness so I have time to spare where I can do small things if I take my time. The offer's there anyway just pm me.

Chris.

you are really ging to have to stop combining your juggling and astronomy hobbies.

hope you get it fixed.

:) I think the problem might be the pogo stick I'm using to reach the eyepiece?

@Tribal-Wolf - I will send you a PM :)

Hi Cat!

As long as the motor windings haven't been damaged - no smoke and smell of burning coming from the motor - it looks like it is a simple case of desoldering the motor winding wires from the PCB and then soldering them to the new board. Should be a 30 second job once you get a new board.

It may be possible to bridge the break in the PCB tracks to the RJ socket pins if you can't get a replacement. If Tribal can't do it I can have a look for you... :) now where did I put that big hammer?

Either way, hope you get it up and running soon. :)

Regards, Bryan

Archived