Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

buying a big dob

Daniel-K

Orion Optics do dobs. You select your chosen optical tube with a dob mount as an option:

Orion Optics UK - Manufacturers of Precision Astronomical Telescopes and Optical Components

£1,200 would get you a 10" VX F/5.3 with 1/10th wave PV optics.

just bought a 10inch mirror set to make a grab and go dob so im after a 14 really

It will be interesting to see if that scope is actually available. They have had the advert on there for months inviting interest from prospective buyers. There might be quite a long queue :hello2:

David Lukehurst makes excellent large dobsonains. I've looked through a 20" that he made and the views of M13 and M51 were totally stunning :)

David Lukehurst - Large Portable Dobsonian Dobson Dobsons Telescopes - Index

I agree with all you say John re DL but not for £1200?

That's true Shane - I just added the link to the thread as another option in case the OP has some "flexibility" in the budget :hello2:

It's tough to get a dob over 12" for £1,200 - there seems to be a substantial step up in price beyond that aperture :)

was looking at these there lovely but on the home page says there not taking orders? would like the 14 alkaid

Bit surprised by this, I was reading of someone that had just received their scope a couple of weeks back. But as you say that is what the web site seem to say.

Was thinking of one myself, the smaller 10" GSO mirror option.

Suppose that an email to him would do no harm, might also clarify what he is doing in the future. As in reducing the options or getting out of it altogether. May be time to design one.

was looking at these there lovely but on the home page says there not taking orders? would like the 14 alkaid
I don't think the prices for the Propus Alkaid or Canopus include the optics. You have to choose the mirror from the list and then add the price on to the body.

I don't think the prices for the Propus Alkaid or Canopus include the optics. You have to choose the mirror from the list and then add the price on to the body.

Your right, the site says ..."The prices below are for the structure of the Dobsonian telescope, sprayed in your choice of colour. The final product includes primary mirror cell, secondary mirror holder and spider, cooling fans for the primary mirror and anti-dew heating for the secondary mirror. Optics, focuser and finder are not included" !!

Archived