NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finderscopes & backache using dobsonians

About to order an 8" dob (when i eventually find one in stock) and already thinking about finderscope upgrade. My concern is I can imagine locating objects, especially towards the zenith, will involve some seriously uncomfortable contortionism due to having to look straight down the tube from the rear. So consequently I'm thinking about a right angle finder.

How do all you dob owners cope with this? Do you use right angle finder, use some form of platform/riser, practice yoga to get supple(!) or just live with the discomfort??

I sit on a folding camping stool next to my SW 200P dob. Never got on well with the standard finder scope so replaced it with a simple red dot finder so I just lean forward from my stool and look along the OTA. No need to look from the bottom of the tube or scrabble along the floor.

I sit on a folding camping stool next to my SW 200P dob. Never got on well with the standard finder scope so replaced it with a simple red dot finder so I just lean forward from my stool and look along the OTA. No need to look from the bottom of the tube or scrabble along the floor.

That's encouraging, thanks. Not sure what OTA stands for though...

I use a telrad to align initially and then a right angle finder to fine tune if required. cannoy go wrong really and much more comfortable.

Bu when you view through the telrad, is it like playing Twister??

Btw, thanks are due Shane as it was your advice that switched me onto idea of getting a dob with >aperture!

I have read,read and re-read the opening post here and i fail to see how using a DOB to observe objects at the zenith mean you will have to be a contortionist. With a DOB the EP is at the front end of the OTA. So it will easy to use while observing at zenith.

If you use a refractor scope then the EP is at the back end of the scope and observing at zenith is a real pain in the back (literally) and you do need to be a contortionist.

"OTA" = Optical Tube Assembly (basically the scope tube).

I may have missed something here but isnt it easier to use a DOB to observe at zenith, then it is to use a refractor?????????

Unless of course the opening poster is confusing an 8" "DOB" with an 8" Newtonian reflector on an EQ mount.

In that case i agree. EQ mounts can be put in some very strange positions where you almost literally have to bendover backwards to observe.

Bu when you view through the telrad, is it like playing Twister??

Btw, thanks are due Shane as it was your advice that switched me onto idea of getting a dob with >aperture!

no worries. not really like twister, I kneel if needed but that's only every now and again.

I have read,read and re-read the opening post here and i fail to see how using a DOB to observe objects at the zenith mean you will have to be a contortionist. With a DOB the EP is at the front end of the OTA. So it will easy to use while observing at zenith.

If you use a refractor scope then the EP is at the back end of the scope and observing at zenith is a real pain in the back (literally) and you do need to be a contortionist.

"OTA" = Optical Tube Assembly (basically the scope tube).

I may have missed something here but isnt it easier to use a DOB to observe at zenith, then it is to use a refractor?????????

Unless of course the opening poster is confusing an 8" "DOB" with an 8" Newtonian reflector on an EQ mount.

In that case i agree. EQ mounts can be put in some very strange positions where you almost literally have to bendover backwards to observe.

Hi Paul and thanks for your input. I'm referring to using the finderscope specifically and not viewing through the EP. my old newt had a short tube and was on an EQ mount and I'd locate objects by looking down the tube through the RDF, which was comfortable enough. But with a dob the back of the tube can get close to the ground, so looking down the tube i feared may mean face pressed against the ground! I have zilch experience with a dob so bear with me, I'm hoping my concerns are not well founded.

OK i have just re-re-read and i see the issue is with the finder on a DOB. Yeah those damn RDF's can be a real pain in the back. More so with a DOB then any other type of scope.

My apologies.

No worries fella, I'm clearly too slow at typing :D

Archived