SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

mirror cleaning

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just out of interest, do you live near a restaurant? It may be condensed oil droplets from their kitchen.

Good thinking but there's no restaraunt near me. My theory is that it's from a bush in the garden or a particular tree but don't know how to test this.

dont clean mirrors , ever , unless there is a big piece of stuff stuck to it , dont clean because its dusty , dont clean because it has water marks .... dont clean because it seems like a good idea ...

just dont do it , anyone who cleans thier mirrors regularly is damaging the surface/coatings .

there is some good info on the ziess website , when one of the main mirror makers was asked his opinion on how to clean a mirror or lens (this guy is 77 years old he has made the best opitics in the world for over 60 years ) he said the only thing that should ever touch a lens or mirror is a huff (exhaled breath) .

but im sure some of you know better

I am no expert but I am pretty sure I would have noticed a greater difference if I hadn't cleaned my mirror in the last eight years than the completely undetectable difference that cleaning my mirror once a year for eight years has caused.:)

Mike.

Good thinking but there's no restaraunt near me. My theory is that it's from a bush in the garden or a particular tree but don't know how to test this.

Just a thought, have you consider building a full aperture protection filter with some Baader Turbo film?

First Light Optics - Baader TurboFilm (clear) 1.27m x 0.51m

It's like the baader solar film, only totally transparent.

for normal grime and dust you can clean a mirror without touching the surface using a bowl of warm slightly soapy water to soak it, a shower head to rinse off and then RVO (fish tank) water to do a final rinse. touch off any stubborn drips with the corner of a tissue.

Alan's residue is a bit different and he has a truss dob of course. I also suspect it's tree sap maybe or similar.

Just a thought, have you consider building a full aperture protection filter with some Baader Turbo film?

First Light Optics - Baader TurboFilm (clear) 1.27m x 0.51m

It's like the baader solar film, only totally transparent.

Good idea, but this would effect air circulation which is needed for the mirrors to reach the same temperature as the atmosphere unless I could attach the film directly to the mirror. Might be worth thinking more on. Cheers.

just remember if you break your telescope mirror you dont just get 7 years bad luck you get 7 x maximum magnifaction of your scope bad luck.

Also use andrex soft toilet paper :)

All seriousness though can you get your mirror and optics professionally cleaned if needed ?

Archived