Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ6 vs EQ5 vs iOptron IEQ45

laser_jock99

I need a new mount for a second observing location. I have a pillar mounted EQ6 already so if I got a new NEQ6 (pro synscan goto etc) it would drop nicely onto my existing obsy pillar if required to at any time in the future. So I'm currently inclined to go for another EQ6 at the moment - the first scope going on it will be 6" refractor.

However location #2 demands more portabilty, it's a case of carrying out the tripod each session- hence I'm also considering the other two mentioned mounts. Since I'm mainly interested in deep sky photography is the iOptron worth the extra £700 or would that money better invested in a newer scope which I'll eventually need to go on the new mount?

I'm also factoring in possible star parties too in the future.

I have two EQ sixes and an iEQ45. I also know the HEQ5 quite well.

The iOptron is very nice to set up and with its new balance clutches should be better than the one I have. I believe a newer version is about to arrive here literally any minute so I'll add more on the comparison if I can. Polar Alignment is pretty slick and it's quick and well made in terms of setup. The Altitude adjustment is clearly better than the EQs. GoTo is astonishingly accurate.

I don't think there's anything in it re tracking accuracy under guiding. I do think the worms are a bit exposed to wind blown contamination on the iOptron. The GPS is a bonus but can be very slow to latch on and that's here under a clear sky at 3000 feet.

It is a lot more expensive than the EQs and, if I'm strictly honest, I'd really like a bit more for the extra. It is a nicer mount, but it should be a bit 'more nicer' in my opinion!

Might it be worth waiting to see what happens with the Astrotrac GEM under development?

I really think there must be a 'next generation' budget mount around the corner. There certainly should be because there are some old designs out there.

Olly

Talk to Telescope House. They are supposed to be the Meade importers so they should have an idea when it'll be in.

Sounds good that it's 3 mounts in one and is reasonably priced.

Maybe google it and see if there are any reviews besides what Meade say about it.

I have two EQ sixes and an iEQ45. I also know the HEQ5 quite well.

The iOptron is very nice to set up and with its new balance clutches should be better than the one I have. I believe a newer version is about to arrive here literally any minute so I'll add more on the comparison if I can. Polar Alignment is pretty slick and it's quick and well made in terms of setup. The Altitude adjustment is clearly better than the EQs. GoTo is astonishingly accurate.

I don't think there's anything in it re tracking accuracy under guiding. I do think the worms are a bit exposed to wind blown contamination on the iOptron. The GPS is a bonus but can be very slow to latch on and that's here under a clear sky at 3000 feet.

It is a lot more expensive than the EQs and, if I'm strictly honest, I'd really like a bit more for the extra. It is a nicer mount, but it should be a bit 'more nicer' in my opinion!

Might it be worth waiting to see what happens with the Astrotrac GEM under development?

I really think there must be a 'next generation' budget mount around the corner. There certainly should be because there are some old designs out there.

Olly

Hi Olly

I went to Astrofest this year specifically looking for a new mount; I'd been waiting for more news on the Astrotrac GEM which was supposed to appear 6 months ago. I spoke to Richard and the mount is still at least a further 6 months away, he wouldn't give details but they've added a lot to the built-in autoguider version they showed a year ago but unfortunately he also mentioned a potential price higher than I was expecting.

I’d done my research (read your review) so plan B came into operation and I ordered an IEQ45, I’ve only had a few chances to use it but I’m very pleased with my decision.

Mel

Archived