just starting out. binoculars ordered now need beginners book!

hi!

2nd post here, first being saturday night after my close encounters of a meteorite kind! LOL

well thats given me the push into starting stargazing. i've been interested since i was a kid but never really done anything about it. most has been collecting "build your own solar system" a few years ago (it built a beautiful orrery!) & visiting kennedy space center whilst on holiday in florida! (endeavour was on the launch pad waiting for her last flight!)

money is tight at the minute as we are saving to goto florida (AGAIN!!! LOL) & also home repairs, just to get it ready as we are planning a family :D

so i've got about £30-£40 spare. i've used £19.25 on some celestron upclose 10x50 binoculars. i know they arent the best but from reviews they seem good value for money especially as they are in my budget!

i'm now looking for some books that'll learn me the basics. astronomy for beginners seemed a good start (if just in title! LOL) but the reviews mark it down for being to american, though theres a new version out in november.

2 books that seem to pop up are astronomy by ian ridpath & turn left at orion. are these good for a complete novice? i think i've got phillips guide to the night sky somewhere (came with a name a star i got for the wife!) but if not is that a good thing to get?

thanks in advance! :headbang:

Hi welcome to SGL. I'd definately buy "turn left at orion" full of star charts etc etc to get you learning where things are in the night sky...

Regards Ady

I would start with Binocular Highlights, by Gary Seronik. This is a fun little book to take out with your binoculars. It has 99 sights in an easy to use format so you can use it on the spur of the moment and not get bogged down.

If you're on a budget, I would get Robin Scagell's Night Sky Atlas. This covers basic info about scopes, nomenclature, and the background of astronomical observing, and contains great star charts and a photo tour of the constellations and their most significant objects. I give this book to any of my friends who shows the slightest interest in astronomy as a starter guide.

Then I would move on the Sue French's Celestial Sampler, an indispensable book of basic small scope tours--many of which can also be used with binoculars, and it's some of the best astronomical writing there is.

And when you have a scope and are looking for real challenges (and have more money), move on to Cosmic Challenge, by Phil Harrington.

If I could own only four books about astronomy, those would be it. But, eventually, I'd also want a really good star chart, like the Sky Atlas 2000 by Tirion, or the S&T Pocket Sky Atlas.

And while you are at it, go to a library and check out the Backyard Astronomers Guide by Dikinson and Dyer. This is expensive to buy and you don't need to own it, but it'll give you tons of background information about scopes and the hobby in general.

I own Turn Left at Orion (which you mentioned), but I don't find it as inspiring as the books above and hardly use it. Just my own opinion of course.

I would start with Binocular Highlights, by Gary Seronik. This is a fun little book to take out with your binoculars. It has 99 sights in an easy to use format so you can use it on the spur of the moment and not get bogged down.

If you're on a budget, I would get Robin Scagell's Night Sky Atlas. This covers basic info about scopes, nomenclature, and the background of astronomical observing, and contains great star charts and a photo tour of the constellations and their most significant objects. I give this book to any of my friends who shows the slightest interest in astronomy as a starter guide.

Then I would move on the Sue French's Celestial Sampler, an indispensable book of basic small scope tours--many of which can also be used with binoculars, and it's some of the best astronomical writing there is.

And when you have a scope and are looking for real challenges (and have more money), move on to Cosmic Challenge, by Phil Harrington.

If I could own only four books about astronomy, those would be it. But, eventually, I'd also want a really good star chart, like the Sky Atlas 2000 by Tirion, or the S&T Pocket Sky Atlas.

And while you are at it, go to a library and check out the Backyard Astronomers Guide by Dikinson and Dyer. This is expensive to buy and you don't need to own it, but it'll give you tons of background information about scopes and the hobby in general.

I own Turn Left at Orion (which you mentioned), but I don't find it as inspiring as the books above and hardly use it. Just my own opinion of course.

Interestingly both the Sky and Telescope books are at least twice the price of the Backyard Astronomer's Guide and Turn Left.

I have both the Backyard and Turn Left and I agree Backyard is a good background read.

Personally I'm not getting on with Turn Left but I will stick at it.

Welcome to SGL :D

I first started with the Guide to the Night Sky as it shows you whats 'obvious' to spot at certain times of the year and how to star hop. It focuses on whats viewable with the naked eye or binoculars which is a great start. well it was for me, less complicated.

Oh and if you are interested in the Moon I'd recommend the moon observer's guide by Philips again, as thats great for spotting craters, seas, mountains etc.

Once you have found one or two books you are interested in try and find them on this website - search on "Astronomy" for starters or on the title / author / ISBM number of the books you are seeking.

AbeBooks Official Site - New & Secondhand Books, New &Used Textbooks, Rare & Out of Print Books

I have received very good service from them and I am building up quite a good library at very little cost.

I bought "Stargazing with Binoculars" - One of the Phillips books - before I decided to get a scope. Having a lot of joy with that at the moment still as I only have a small scope so most of it is still relevant to me.

Would recommend.

If you really want an "Astronomy 101" which covers more than the observing aspects you can't go past Dinah Moche's "Astronomy - A Self Teaching Guide" This great "Introduction to Astronomy" is less than $10.

Amazon.com: Astronomy: A Self-Teaching Guide, Fifth Edition (9780471383536): Dinah L. Moche: Books

Excellent value, excellent content. Highly recommended.

The Backyard Astronomers Guide will give you a good grounding and is well recommended, it is available at reasonable cost s/h. Those that do not get on with TL@O might like to try Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders, also well recommended, 500 pages of objects to view, Constellation by Constellation, what you can expect to see, how to find it etc, and less expensive. should keep anyone busy for years :D

Archived