viewing some planets.

well i just purchased tis lot :D

15 mm Kellner Eyepiece (7.5mm when used with the 2x barlow lens)

6 mm Plössl Eyepiece (3mm when used with the barlow lens)

2x Barlow Lens with T-threads

#80A Blue Planetary Filter

#25 Red Planetary Filter

Moon Filter

Micro Fiber Cloth

Plastic Carrying Case with Foam

all for £59 posted :headbang: which i think is rather cheap :) i think ;)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well i just purchased tis lot :D

15 mm Kellner Eyepiece (7.5mm when used with the 2x barlow lens)

6 mm Plössl Eyepiece (3mm when used with the barlow lens)

2x Barlow Lens with T-threads

#80A Blue Planetary Filter

#25 Red Planetary Filter

Moon Filter

Micro Fiber Cloth

Plastic Carrying Case with Foam

all for £59 posted :headbang: which i think is rather cheap :) i think ;)

Where did you get this pretty lot??

If you were looking last night, I seem to think the viewing was pretty poor (at least it was in my neck of the woods).

Jupiter is now getting low so more atmospheric effects from heating and rising air as you are 'looking through' more.

Venus was very wobbly (same reasons as above) and Mars seemed very plain last night.

Can't wait for Saturn to be higher as this is perhaps the best to view in a scope. It seems to take higher magnifications.

If you were looking last night, I seem to think the viewing was pretty poor (at least it was in my neck of the woods).

Jupiter is now getting low so more atmospheric effects from heating and rising air as you are 'looking through' more.

Venus was very wobbly (same reasons as above) and Mars seemed very plain last night.

Can't wait for Saturn to be higher as this is perhaps the best to view in a scope. It seems to take higher magnifications.

when is saturn due to show its face ?

i also assume jupiter will be visable at a good apex next winter again ?

many thanks jimmyjamjoejoe

This is one of the best forums ive been on as everyone helps and no-one gives snide comments and say look on google :D i mean yea google is your friend but when you aint sure what you are actually looking for, its nice that someone on here explains or gives you an actual answer or a link that gives you what you want :headbang:

I have always been able to see banding on Jupiter even with my 32mm Plossl but my best view is with the Tal 12.5 Plossl which came with the scope. I had a harder time seeing the GRS until one very clear and cold night with my GSO 15mm and 2x Barlow there it was! Since then I have used this combo for Mars as well with good results.

Simon that kits a bargain nice one :D. I wish skywatcher did a kit with a Barlow in it but the kit i have seen only has a red torch and dont need red torch as they are easy and cheap to make. I hope you write a little review about this kit as i will be very interested to read it. Wait until you can see saturn i viewed it last night for the first time and i was jumping round the garden like a mental case. The detail in a 10mm with a 150p dob is just amazing and you can even see one of its moons. Good luck with the kit. Clear skies.

Simon that kits a bargain nice one :D. I wish skywatcher did a kit with a Barlow in it but the kit i have seen only has a red torch and dont need red torch as they are easy and cheap to make. I hope you write a little review about this kit as i will be very interested to read it. Wait until you can see saturn i viewed it last night for the first time and i was jumping round the garden like a mental case. The detail in a 10mm with a 150p dob is just amazing and you can even see one of its moons. Good luck with the kit. Clear skies.

Heh yea will write a little review once i get it :headbang: for the price i didnt think it was bad at all especially when the barlow is £40 on its own.

Also you get some nice filters which will be very handy for viewing the moon and from what i read one of the filters are good for viewing the planets. :)

At the moment skies are thick of cloud so no viewing for me or any solar storm ;)

What time did you view saturn ? im not sure if i can get the view from my house as i can only get jupiter and venus for a few hours each day or a couple of extra if i view it from inside the house but then you have the glass to contend with :(.

Even though i have a good view lookin down into a valley , i just dont have anyplace on the front side of my house to view :( again only through the front window but wont get as detailed view as i would from outside :o

Well last night it came up around 9:50 in the E but was quite low i got the best view at around 10:45 to midnight. After midnight the view gets better but i had to go inside as it clouded over and started to rain:mad:. Have you tried Stellerium its a free program and is very good to use with a compass.

Well last night it came up around 9:50 in the E but was quite low i got the best view at around 10:45 to midnight. After midnight the view gets better but i had to go inside as it clouded over and started to rain:mad:. Have you tried Stellerium its a free program and is very good to use with a compass.

i will have a look at it :D

i currently use an ipad app and you just stick the pad in the sky and it tells you exactly what stars are which right infront of you :headbang: it does the DSO (galaxys too)

as said above cooling, collimation, seeing and decent optics (you have those in a SW dob) are needed as a start for planetary observing. then you have to start staring and for quite a while before detail pops out.

the image will wobble back and forth (don't adjust the focal when you have the best focal point) but every now and again you'll have a wow moment of clarity when details pop out; retain these in your mind and you build a picture.

some of the best things for planetary observing for me are :

a seat

a Baader Neodymium filter

a tracking mount (if possible although I was looking at Mars the other night at 240x easily with a manual dob)

patience is one of the key things you need.

I have 9 eyepieces as follows:

26mm

15mm

13mm

12.5mm

10mm

9mm

8mm

7mm

6-3mm

you will note that all but one of my eyepieces are 15mm or more and packed tightly at the higher end. seeing varies so much as I often find that a change between eyepieces can make all the difference.

I'm hoping a comet will appear or pass near by in the near future as I loved looking at the hale-bop back all those many years ago.

I'm looking forward to using some of those filters Im getting as from what I read they give some nice views

I have 2 lenses and a x2 barlow lens when I use the wide angle lens on saturn I see a tiny planet and can't quite make out the ring although there is a slight bump in the round bit. When I use it with the barlow lens I can see the ring, make out some moons and can just about make out the colour of the planet. When I use the other lens (I think it's 10mm) with the barlow lens I can clearly see moons, rings and the colour of saturn however the planet seems a little fuzzy compared to the other lens. I've noticed this with other objects in the sky including Venus and Jupiter tonight. I think the lenses aren't really that good anyway however for occasional observing of planet they are ok.

I would never want to zoom/magnify that much unless I had a bigger scope because I would loose quality and wouldn't be able to actually see the details of the planet which is completely pointless.

I would just recommend using a barlow lens with a wide angle lens to get a good view :D however I'm not very knowledgeable about this kinda stuff :headbang:

I'm hoping a comet will appear or pass near by in the near future as I loved looking at the hale-bop back all those many years ago.

I'm looking forward to using some of those filters Im getting as from what I read they give some nice views

Comet garradd is around at the moment, though it isn't as bright as hale-bopp.

Well got the eye piece set today so here is a little review untill I test them out :)

Packaging is sterdy and solid, it cover a plastic box which is also solid and protects the most important stuff quite well :hello2:

You also get a nice little instruction paper which explains what each eye piece and filter does (which is very helpfully for those new starters like me)

In the plastic box you have your usual protective foam that holds the prices in place and stops them moving or banging which could damage your optics.

Celestron Barlow 2X:

the Barlow looks solid and well made and has dust caps to stop that pesky dust and has a t screw and also has threas for those cameras which can be attached.

Celestron 15mm:

Again a solid piece and also has dust caps . The top eye piece has a rubber thread to help keep the protective dust cap and on the bottom end it has threads so you can screw the filter onto

Celestron 6mm:

Same as above with exception of the main eye optic being very small but overall good build quality.

Filters (moon : light blue : red)

Nothin much I can say about these other that they have the same strong build type as all the other items above and come in a nice plastic and rubber casing.

Well that's it at the moment folks untill I try them out and give a full detailed review of how the pieces work :D but so far worth the £59 I paid for them.

On a quick side note amazon uk are doing these for £53 free delivery , so an even bigger bargin if any new starters are looking for some good optics to go with your new scope.

I have 2 lenses and a x2 barlow lens when I use the wide angle lens on saturn I see a tiny planet and can't quite make out the ring although there is a slight bump in the round bit. When I use it with the barlow lens I can see the ring, make out some moons and can just about make out the colour of the planet. When I use the other lens (I think it's 10mm) with the barlow lens I can clearly see moons, rings and the colour of saturn however the planet seems a little fuzzy compared to the other lens. I've noticed this with other objects in the sky including Venus and Jupiter tonight. I think the lenses aren't really that good anyway however for occasional observing of planet they are ok.

I would never want to zoom/magnify that much unless I had a bigger scope because I would loose quality and wouldn't be able to actually see the details of the planet which is completely pointless.

I would just recommend using a barlow lens with a wide angle lens to get a good view :) however I'm not very knowledgeable about this kinda stuff :hello2:

I dunno, that seems quite an accurate assesment for a boke with 3 posts to his name !

don't knock yourself, we're all learning :D

Archived