General Improvements to viewing

Ok guys, I've had my scope a few weeks now, and I've got out and had some good views of the sky. I've worked out what I'm doing and I want to step it up a notch.

Firstly, eyepieces. I'm using a Skywatcher 150P, with a 10mm and 25mm, both supplied with scope, plus a 2x Barlow. I'm considering adding either 4mm and/or 6mm eyepiece(s) to get some better views of the planets. Is this advisable?

I also wish to add either a webcam or DSLR to this setup. Planetary imaging as well as a few DSO images peak my interest.

Tips? Cheers folks.

Depends on budget - perhaps the best way to start imaging would be with an RA drive motor and a webcam for some very do'able shots of planets. Dso's would be out of the question unless you change the mount to a CG5GT Goto or an EQ5 Goto (or equiv). You could then add a guide scope and dslr (using the webcam for guiding).

If you move up in aperture to say a 200P you'd want an HEQ5 mount. For eyepieces don't go too much above 200x to 250x max magnification - we don't get much chance to go higher in UK seeing :D

I would suggest considering upgrading the eyepieces to get wider fields of view if you are a visual observer. I have Baader Hyperions and they make a huge difference to the experience of a standard plossl. There are loads of 66-100 degree view eyepieces with just as many opinions on which ones are best. It seems as is often the case you get what you pay for..

I would go for a high power 66 deg feild of view eyepiece for the planets and splitting double stars. Perhaps a 6mm with your scope. First light optics would be a good place to seek advice on what to go for.

Mark

Mark

Iain,

What I say maybe all wrong, but hopefully - if this is the case - someone more knowledgeable than myself will be able to amend the following 'rule' of thumb.

Take the focal ratio F/r (apperture ratio) of your telescope and multiply it by:

1.25, high.

2, medium.

3, low.

So, if a given telescope had a focal ratio of 5, F/5, the average consideration of an eyepiece should be about:

High = 6.25mm

Medium = 10mm

Low = 15mm

I reckon a focal ratio of 10, F/10, might even be able to get away with the x 0.75, for super high magnification, but don't quote me on that.

With the 6.25mm and a focal length of 750, one would expect a reasonably high magnification of 125. Around the middle end, about 75 times, and at the low end about 50. To push a magnification to 200 times with a F/5 would mean getting a 3.75mm eyepiece, and I'm not too sure if that is really possible.

Anyway, I hope this rule of thumb helps whittle down the averages.

Qualia

I just found the eyepieces thread, thanks for the tips.

Depends on budget - perhaps the best way to start imaging would be with an RA drive motor and a webcam for some very do'able shots of planets. Dso's would be out of the question unless you change the mount to a CG5GT Goto or an EQ5 Goto (or equiv). You could then add a guide scope and dslr (using the webcam for guiding).

If you move up in aperture to say a 200P you'd want an HEQ5 mount. For eyepieces don't go too much above 200x to 250x max magnification - we don't get much chance to go higher in UK seeing

Out of interest, whats the reasoning behind changing the mount? And how easy is it to add a motor?

I've not had this scope very long so I wont be upgrading anytime soon :D

Interesting, thanks.

As for webcams, I see the ones commonly recommended are not readily available anymore, or if they are, they are stupidly expensive. ebay has a few of the philips ones but for atleast £50. Is this an acceptable price or should I be looking elsewhere?

I wouldn't pay more than £30 for an SPC 880 in good condition - but that's just me lol - they used to be £10 a pop when Morgans started selling them brand new and a lot of folks bought two or three at a time :D

Ok, so I'm going to add an 8mm and Dual Axis motors from FLO. I currently have a 10mm, 25mm and 2x Barlow. Is it worth adding something between in the 10 and 25? Looking on FLO, the Vixen NPL series of eyepieces are catching my eye. Perhaps an 8 and a 15?

Archived