I have around £500, what will you recommend?

I already have a pair of binoculars, and I would like to have a telescope too. I'm interested in planets and DSO, so I want a telescope that can do both well. I want a starter "kit", with a telescope and eyepiece and whatever else is needed for a beginner like me. I know you are more experienced than I am, and I was hoping that you would assist me in purchasing my first telescope. My budget is £500. I would also like to mention that I do know the basics of astronomy and telescopes, and I'm not interested in astrophotography in the moment (mounts are really expensive...).

Here is what I was thinking:

TELESCOPE

• Skywatcher dobsonian 200p (£300 with shipping)

This scope seems to offer what I want, a mixture of planetary and DSO. I'm afraid that I wont have the same mobility if I buy a, let's say, 250p, so the 200p seems to be the best for me. It also comes with a 10mm and a 25mm eyepiece.

EYEPIECES/BARLOW

• Skywatcher SP 6.3mm (£20)
    Skywatcher SP 17mm (£20)
    Skywatcher panaview 2" 32mm (£79)
    Skywatcher Deluxe 2x Barlow (£30)

These eyepieces seems to offer a good range, both for plantary and DSO/starclusters. I have very little experience with eyepieces and I really don't have a clue if these are of a high quality. I have of course looked at this forum, and both plossl and panaview seems to get fine reviews. If you know any combinations that are better for general use (planetary/star clusters/double stars/DSO), please leave a comment.

COLLIMINATOR

• Cheshire Collimating Eyepiece (£25)

It seems fine and it's relatively cheap.

= £474 in total (500 is maximum)

If you have any suggestions or ideas please do not hesitate to leave a comment;) And sorry for my broken grammar, English is not my main language.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8" dob - great choice. Cheshire - likewise. I would suggest leaving the new e/ps until you've used the scope a bit and also you might find that an alternate finder is more essential than new e/ps.

good luck:)

Thanks a lot;)

FLO do the Skywatcher dob for £275 + £5 for shipping First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

Brilliant scope and glad i went for it

I'm from denmark, so the shipping is £55 on FLO:(

I've found Sky-Watcher Skyliner-200P Classic Parabolic Dobsonian Telescope (10717) - wex photographic to be the cheapest (only £15 in shipping).

And I'm glad you like the scope :D

Can't go wrong with a 200P dob - very nice scope that will do all you want so long as you deffo aren't doing imaging. You have chosen a good range of eyepiece sizes and certainly picked sensible and usable magnifications.

I don't know how good a £30 barlow will be - personally I'd prefer to get the Tal or spend a little more and get a Celestron Ultima.

I'd also want slightly better plossls than the two you've chosen (bearing in mind the scope's f5) and won't be so forgiving on lesser quality pieces (imho). You might consider substituting them for good 15mm and a decent barlow. HTH :D

but note that WEX do not have it in stock at the moment.

True, but I'll gladly wait a bit to pay £40 less in shipping:) and I haven't come across a lot of sites that offers the 200p at the price FLO/WEX offers it.

I bought the 250px Skyliner Dob (£418 delivered from Rother Valley) but I also live somewhere really dark so I don't have to move it far for good skys. Which is good, because it is big and just about a heavy as I can manage. If you're going to move your scope get the 200: I can't speak highly enough of my 250 and there won't be much difference in what you can see and your hernia (which you may not have now, but a couple of months lugging a 250...........?) will thank you.

Can't go wrong with a 200P dob - very nice scope that will do all you want so long as you deffo aren't doing imaging. You have chosen a good range of eyepiece sizes and certainly picked sensible and usable magnifications.

I don't know how good a £30 barlow will be - personally I'd prefer to get the Tal or spend a little more and get a Celestron Ultima.

I'd also want slightly better plossls than the two you've chosen (bearing in mind the scope's f5) and won't be so forgiving on lesser quality pieces (imho). You might consider substituting them for good 15mm and a decent barlow. HTH :D

Tal, as in this one?

First Light Optics - Tal 2x and 3x Barlows

And do you know if a celestron omni plossl is any good?(15mm)

First Light Optics - Celestron Omni Plossl Eyepiece

And thanks a lot for your help;)

It says the Omnis are for scopse f-6 and slower - you want f-6 and faster. I was thinking something more like the XCel's which would work well in the 200P. Yes those are the Tal's I was thinking of :D

I've just got the 200p dob and am well chuffed with it , easy enough to lug around the garden and it should fit in the car easy enough. The scope is f/5.9 and because of the exit pupil of 5 mm the biggest ep you should use with this is 30mm . . . From what I've read. I don't know what difference a 32mm will make or if it's just a waste of 2mm. Other things to add are a red torch , planasphere and a book

It says the Omnis are for scopse f-6 and slower - you want f-6 and faster. I was thinking something more like the XCel's which would work well in the 200P. Yes those are the Tal's I was thinking of :D

Thanks a lot:)

I've just got the 200p dob and am well chuffed with it , easy enough to lug around the garden and it should fit in the car easy enough. The scope is f/5.9 and because of the exit pupil of 5 mm the biggest ep you should use with this is 30mm . . . From what I've read. I don't know what difference a 32mm will make or if it's just a waste of 2mm. Other things to add are a red torch , planasphere and a book

Sounds great, I'm looking forward to getting my own:D

definitely get yourself some kind of stool or observing chair - theres a few on amazon between £20-£30 - saves a hell of a lot on your back - good choice as well - great scope

I could imaging my back getting a bit sore after a lot of leaning over/sitting down for a long amount of time, what kind of chair should I go for? Just a regular chair/stool or is there something I should look after? I'm glad you like the scope btw;)

• Skywatcher panaview 2" 32mm (£79)

Don't get a 2" eyepiece! You will have no use for it, because it won't fit your telescope.

Telescope eyepieces come in two sizes - 1.25" and 2". Most telescopes, including the 200P, take 1.25" eyepieces.

Don't get a 2" eyepiece! You will have no use for it, because it won't fit your telescope.

Telescope eyepieces come in two sizes - 1.25" and 2". Most telescopes, including the 200P, take 1.25" eyepieces.

I thought the 200p could take 2". I'm pretty sure I read that it was "dual-fit" or something, but I'm uncertain.

I thought the 200p could take 2". I'm pretty sure I read that it was "dual-fit" or something, but I'm uncertain.

Ah - a quick look at FLO tells me that you're right and I'm wrong.

I shall stop giving advice about kit I don't have!

But you've made an excellent choice - I've not heard anything bad about the 200P.

Ah - a quick look at FLO tells me that you're right and I'm wrong.

I shall stop giving advice about kit I don't have!

But you've made an excellent choice - I've not heard anything bad about the 200P.

Thank you:D

Two things to say. First, the scope in question isn't currently in stock at FLO, if you wanted to shop there. Second, it does take 2" eyepieces. It has a 1.25/2" focuser.

Two things to say. First, the scope in question isn't currently in stock at FLO, if you wanted to shop there. Second, it does take 2" eyepieces. It has a 1.25/2" focuser.

I was planning to buy it at "warehouseexpress.com", but they do not have it in stock either. It seems like I'll have to wait a bit before I get my hands on one unless I can find an equally cheap site (with cheap/free shipping).

Hi Lyper, welcome to SGl. I asked same question a few weeks ago and have now got the 200p from FLO. It's a great piece of kit though I'm not used to it yet, too many cloudy nights since I had it. I was also advised to wait before buying eyepieces although a few posters mentioned Vixen NPL as being a good budget choice. FLO stock them First Light Optics - Vixen NPL eyepieces but note I've not tried them myself.

Archived