Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cheshire collimation

Hi,

I've just acquired a Cheshire collimator/sight tube and have been practising collimating, as the skies have been unkind lately!

I wondered if anybody can comment on these two photos and tell me if anything is wrong (apart from my horribly artexed ceiling!).

First is a view of the secondary, second is the view down the collimator. Something that confused me was which crosshair (not the spider legs!) to refer to, as the large one is obviously blurred.

It's a Skywatcher Explorer 200 PDS, so it's an F5. Open end is to the left of the images.

post-33058-13387774176_thumb.jpg

post-33058-133877741765_thumb.jpg

It looks good. The sight tube crosshairs should be in the primary center circle. And the primary center circle should line up with the cheshire pinhole.

The crosshairs always look blurry to me, this is because they are within a few inches of the eye so not easy to focus without my reading glasses.

Just a word of warning, your joke about thge ceiling is quite relevent, if you're collimating with the scope pointing at the ceiling, then I suggest you don't, if you drop something or lose the secondary or something it'll go crashing into the primary, level the scope and point at a wall, just to be safe

Just a word of warning, your joke about thge ceiling is quite relevent, if you're collimating with the scope pointing at the ceiling, then I suggest you don't, if you drop something or lose the secondary or something it'll go crashing into the primary, level the scope and point at a wall, just to be safe

I actually took the picture as an afterthought when I'd moved the scope, but you make a very good point :)

Archived