Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky-Watcher EXPLORER-200P (EQ5) Parabolic Newtonian Reflector not working help!!

JimRymer

Hi All Jim Here in Norwich, would love to join this group. I have recently got myself a Sky-Watcher EXPLORER-200P (EQ5) Parabolic Newtonian Reflector Telescope and to be honest havent got a clue how to work this thing, I have set it all up and managed to line up the finder scope, when I look at say the moon in the maqin eyepeice of the telescope without any eyepeice in just the hole it is there but when I look wioth the eye peice ...any of them magnified all I get is a blur!!! Can anyone pelase tell me what I am doing wrong I am feeling such a muppet as I know I am doing something wt=rong..when I look in the eye peice all I see is the mirror at the bottom of the tube...sorry for being so unwith it but I am only starting on what I now realise is a complicated hobby!!!!

I have decided to join my local astronomy club to get some help with all this but your imput would be realy valued

thyanks

Jim R.

Hi Jim.

Lets start at the begining.

Set up the scope and insert the largest numbered eyepiece you have.

Locate the moon with the finder scope.

Slowly rotate the focus knob to move the eyepiece in and out of the focuser tube, at some point the moon will become focused in the eyepiece.

Graham

I think I am correct that a common 'problem' with these scopes is that people don't use the adapters correctly and this prevents focas being reached. I am not that au fait with them but if you look at the destructions I bet you'll see the problem.

Thanks for the help, I did as I went out set it up properly and indeed manage to focus on a chimney top far off to align the finder scope with the main telescope however when I went to focus on the moon a little later on, I could not for the life of me get it in focus so it is neither the eyepeice or the main tube that is the peoblem but rathe me I th, it was a bright blur!! I think perhpas I am trying to move the eye peice to fast perhaps?

thanks for responding though.

all the best

Jim R

If you can get focused on a chimney with a low power eyepiece, leave the focuser in the same position. Do not remove the eyepiece either, but wait until the moon is up, and the sky is reasonably dark, so you get decent contrast. Position the scope onto the moon, and very slowly turn your focuser knob so that the eyepiece moves towards the scope tube. You shouldn't need to move it very far to get a focus on the moon. Make sure your scope is pointing at the terminator, the edge of the shadow, and the moonlight.

Slow movements will get you there. Once you have a focused target, you can change to a higher power eyepiece, one with a smaller number in millimetres, say 10mm.

The moon will be out of focus again, so gently turn the knob to again move the eyepiece towards the tube. The craters on the terminator should come into focus, and be also larger.

Is the scope properly collimated by the way. It's essential it is, in order to get sharp views.

Good Luck.

Ron.

• 3 months later...

Archived