Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dumb question about mars moons

tim r

This may sound stupid but can you resolve the moons of mars because last night before it completely clouded over mars has risen high enought to view, not at it's best because it was only 8.30ish I saw two objects I'd say around 5 times the diameter of mars away. I was using a tak 102 and 5 mm ep, it's just I,ve never seen them before if they were indeed moons thanks. Again maybe a stupid question.

My understanding has always been that the two moons of Mars are far too small to be seen through amateur telescopes, even large amateur telescopes. Mars is at opposition at the moment so if they were ever going to be visible then now is the time - but I really doubt it. Due to its orbit Mars does change its position relative to the background stars so we do see different stars behind it at different times.

The sighting was undoubtedly of field stars.

Phobos and Deimos were visually discovered in 1877 with a 26" refractor: the late date and large aperture give an indication of difficulty.

Using an occulting bar to block out the planet, and carefully choosing the best times (near opposition and with the moons at greatest elongation), there are reports of sightings with 8" or maybe even less. But that takes a lot of effort. They would certainly never be seen in the course of casual observing.

Archived