Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Image processing software, whats best to use?

Hi folks:)

I would like to take my imaging a bit further and I'm fairly sure I could be doing a lot more with my image processing as I've only been using DSS to produce my final images. I know that people use PS, can anyone recommend a vesion of PS or any other recommendations which are not too expensive, i.e. I'm looking at anything from freeware to around the 60 quid mark.

Any help very much appreciated as always:D

Chris

I've been using PaintShop Pro for image editing and graphic design for the last ten years (version 7). Have version X too, but I still prefer 7.

You can get X3 on Amazon for less than £15.

Registax is for stacking and processing planetary images. Very nice, but more complex than DSS.

Any package that gives you levels, curves, and allows you to work in layers will be quite okay. If Paintshop pro does that, great! I use PS CS3. I got it from Amazon for about £130. I used PS Elements for many years both at home and as work, so was comfortable with the UI. Works very well for me, but not so cheap.

Can you layer with Paint shop Pro, I know you need this e.g M42 so you can layer the short subs for the core with the longer subs for the faint stuff. If you can layer with PSP then this might be the one for me:D

I'll get a Maksutov and webcam later down the line for planetary so I guess I don't need registax for a while yet.

Thanks, Chris

Ha ha...

if you select just the stars in an image you can clone them to a new layer. Then you can blur the background image or use heavy noise reduction without loosing the crispness of your stars.

Then you can make a duplicate of the star layer, increase the saturation, apply a gentle blur and then set the blending mode to colour and you will have dramatically boosted the colour of your stars without loosing the detail.

For nebulae shots you can make a duplicate, over stretch it to bring up the neb detail, 'mask all' to hide the stretched layer and then use the paintbrush tool on the mask to 'reveal' just the neb detail you want to enhance without adding noise to your background. You can increase the saturation or sharpness in the same way depending how you set the blending mode.

You can make false flats to get rid of background gradients, all sorts of things.

Layers are great ;)

Archived