Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M42: What should I be seeing?

Hi Everyone,

Got clear skies tonight and new lenses arrived but I stuck with the 25mm in my 130p and started looking for Orion nebula. I point my scope to where it is (where I think it is ;)) and I see lots of stars but no faint grey cloud. Is it just stars I see or should I be seeing the grey cloud?

Many Thanks

Here's all you need to know about Orion and M42 (orion nebula):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_(constellation)

Find the constellation first and the nebula is under the three diagonal stars across the middle - just follow the little chain of stars hanging downwards and you'll come to it (all naked eye).

With the the 25mm in a 130P you should see a distinct swirling cloud shape with a hole in it and 4 stars in a trapezium shape within the hole. You'll need good seeing, good collimation, and a dark viewing location for best views ;)

250px-Orion_3008_huge.jpg

Hi there, if you are looking in the right place you should see the cloud stretching out in a fan shape, with some stars, The Trapezium, at the centre.

Maybe you are a bit off target, it should be the 'star' hanging off the left hand star of Orions Belt.

Although I do have a 200mm scope, I am able to easily make out a very clear glow around the few stars during full moon in very light polluted skies (as in maybe a few dozen stars at best, barely being able to see Orion's sword with naked eye).

Although I do have a 200mm scope, I am able to easily make out a very clear glow around the few stars during full moon in very light polluted skies (as in maybe a few dozen stars at best, barely being able to see Orion's sword with naked eye).

Just wanted to say welcome to sgl

Here is sketch I made to give you an idea of what you could see with a good dark sky. You probably won't see as much contrast as this against the background sky because I used a 10" scope and a UHC filter, but the basic shape of the nebula and the pattern of stars should be about the same.

rikmcrae-albums-sketches-picture15670-sk-m42-43-20120211-mcrae-w.jpg

Thanks Rik, very nice drawing ;). Does a uhc filter help a lot with nebula viewing, is it something worth buying?

I think so, but like all filters it does actually dim the whole view quite a bit so they really work better with larger aperture. The effect is quite subtle normally though. Once you get your eye in with a bit more experience, it is surprising just how much detail you can see. The more you look the more you see.

Edit: it's quite a personal thing though. As many others, I prefer NOT to use a filter as rule but sometimes they make the difference between seeing an object or not.

I am afraid that the M42 will be significantly washed out by the bright moon tonight...

Thought that might be the case. I could only see a faint hint of the nebula tonight. Was about to send my new 8" Dob back.

I found it using a pair of 10x42 binoculars. Once you've found it then there's no missing it. But the rosetta nebula has alluded me completely so far. Look below the 3stars forming the belt and continue down.

Archived