NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Xcel LX - problem with eyecups

sheridangj

Hi all,

I've just had to return a couple of these EPs (a 25mm and a 9mm) to the retailer as during my first outing with them a few nights ago the rubber eyecups on both started becoming detached from the metal mouldings. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this - the fact that it's done it on 2 EPs of different focal length worries me slightly as I was planning on going for a set of 4 ultimately. I'm now thinking of going for the slightly more expensive Meade 5000 HD-60s which if I'm correct are essentially the same EPs underneath.

On a related topic, I'm planning on upgrading to a 200P or 250P dob in the near future so I'm planning my EP collection around a focal length of 1200mm. I've read that 200X mag is about the highest that most people can track with a dob. A 5.5mm EP gives a mag of 218X - is that pushing it a bit far?

Many thanks :p

No problems with mine so far.

Not that I'm willing to try and prise them off, but the majority of other brands of EPs that I've had, the rubber eyecups come off by design (they aren't glued on.)

Do the LX ones appear to be glued on?

Hi all,

On a related topic, I'm planning on upgrading to a 200P or 250P dob in the near future so I'm planning my EP collection around a focal length of 1200mm. I've read that 200X mag is about the highest that most people can track with a dob. A 5.5mm EP gives a mag of 218X - is that pushing it a bit far?

Many thanks :p

No, I've had some good views at x250 with a 5mm in a 250mm Dob. Need good conditions though.

Bart

Same here. After using them for a while not the slightest problem. The rubber bits aren't glued on but are a good solid fit and not the slightest sign of coming loose on any of mine.

Given that this happened to both eyepieces the first time you used them makes me wonder if you were pulling the eyeguards up instead of rotating them as it takes very little effort to rotate the twist-up eyeguards.

John

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. It seems to have happened after taking the protective caps off a few times - I knew that they twisted up rather than pulled up so I wasn't doing anything they were not designed for (and I'm always over-careful with all my kit anyway - it drives my wife nuts as she's completely the opposite!). They were definitely glued on rather than relying on a tight fit - I could see the glue residue on the metal and hear it separating as I took the caps off. I'll see what the retailer says and report back as they should have received them by now.

On a positive note - the views were excellent through both EPs - nice wide AFOV and clear image virtually to the edge. I would definitely go for a set if I know that bits aren't going to fall off them!

Cheers.

sheridangj,

I saw this thread when you posted it and made a mental note to check mine next time I was out. This has happened partially to both of my EPs (more on one than the other) too which are only just over a month old.

I remember accidentally doing this to one of them in the dark while taking off the cap (which is a pretty tight fit), but didn't realise the bits of rubber were supposed to be glued down at the time (what with it being dark).

I don't think I've been rough with them, but then I have been taking the caps on and off a lot to avoid steaming up the lenses while looking through the finder.

I'm not planning on sending them back as I'm perfectly willing to accept they were properly glued on when I received them, if it becomes a problem I guess I'll get some super glue and carefully reattach them (assuming its appropriate to use on the soft rubber).

I've seen some people say they aren't a fan of the twist up cups, but I've found them to be really comfortable to use.

Optically I've been very pleased with these.

Tyr

one of mine has started doing this and i think its down to tight covers so i take lots of care when removing the covers and also never do it when the eyepiece relief is fully opened as its more likely to incur damage.im sure they glue back on anyway :)

ive got myself one of these today and ive noticed straight away that although the eyecup is firmly fixed at the moment,the cap is tight indeed. id imagine after a time this could cause the cup to be pulled away .

i have the full set now they both perform well in both my scopes but with.the 300p wow it was like getting a new scope and not,new eps

thats good to hear (or read) im waiting now for a break in the clouds, i want a side by side comparison with my low power meade e/p. hope its as good as youve found.

(the cap is tight though, i might slit it a little).

Re: The tight cap problem

I've been examining the LXs I own and have found the following difference. On the first LXs I purchased the rubber eyecups are just a fraction smaller in diameter compared to the ones purchased recently. It's not very much at all, but the caps just slip on and off easily on the earlier ones whereas the caps are a really tight fit on the latest ones. It's not the caps as I swapped them round to check.

Looks like some rubber eyecup production batches aren't quite the same. Perhaps anyone with a few LXs could check theirs.

John

Archived