Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The waiting is nearly over...

imarcs

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I really liked the simple reflecting finder on the 104mm Maksutov, can't wait to try the telrad. I might add a lightweight 6x30 as well.

Ok, im a big fan of the RDF+9x50 finder setup ive got on my 102 Mak, so i have a finder waiting for installation on the Sumerian. As soon as i get home to unpack it....

I've asked about installing a 9x50 along with the rdf, but I got as response that it might be too much weight? Probably depends on how heavy the eyepieces are (and the tension cord seems like doing a good job?)

The telrad? 300g plus the holder.

The 6x30 about 200g with mount I guess.

The 50mm finder 700g with mount but I am sure it could work with light eyepieces and a DIY mount. Still a bit much for both at once. Or do you know any lightweight ones? :-)

I tried to find a lightweight one a few weeks ago, but it seems if you want quality they're going to be a bit heavier :-( . Sky Watcher or Orion Optics ones seemed to be lightest. I was thinking that maybe it could be counterbalanced somewhat. You're in a better position to answer that then me as i haven't actually got home to mine yet. (Arrived Monday afternoon, after i left for the week) But then again that will add to the total weight which is against both of our lightweight policies......

I have not had much chance to test it yet, but the counterbalance band seems to be a good concept, and according to Michael it is possible to use even heavy eyepieces with some minor adjustments. So far the reflexive viewdot finder convinced me that the telrad is the way to go - - - And I suppose the 6x30 will do for everything else.

Also, even if not, I bought a cheap 40mm eyepiece (€10 @ ebay, unfortunaly not sold anymore) - too large exit pupil, but great for an overview when the finder does not show enough.

I have not had much chance to test it yet, but the counterbalance band seems to be a good concept, and according to Michael it is possible to use even heavy eyepieces with some minor adjustments. So far the reflexive viewdot finder convinced me that the telrad is the way to go - - - And I suppose the 6x30 will do for everything else.

Also, even if not, I bought a cheap 40mm eyepiece (€10 @ ebay, unfortunaly not sold anymore) - too large exit pupil, but great for an overview when the finder does not show enough.

I like the 40mm EP idea. Well i will test the 9x50 at the weekend anyway, and see whats going on and report back.

have you thought about a shroud yet? the only option know of is in the US? I think i will prefer a period of experiment with it before i decide to go down that route though.

Marcus - Ok I just got home to mine and assembled it. Which took a little more thinking about then i initially thought it would.

One thing i don't have is a power source for the primary fan? Is this the case with yours or am i missing a part?

cloudy here, no possibility of using it tonight and i'm travelling again from Sunday. it looks like the first light this thing will get is at SGL7!!

The assembly took me rather long the first time as well, but after doing it again it really is not as bad as I first thought. It's the price for a ultra light telescope.... But practice makes perfect ;-)

I have not payed much attention to the fan & heater yet as I am waiting for the base's screw, perhaps it is ment to plug into the heater's battery compartment untill the mirror is adjusted to the temperature? Else I would just use a small battery compartment from the hobby store or perhaps a 9V block if that's enough...

What I still need to do is to weigh the telescope accuratly, 10,9KG here with a mediocre (digital) scale. What does yours weigh?

i'll weigh mine when i get back home and let you know later.

I don't actually see an easy way to disconnect the heaters batter compartment, maybe I'm not seeing something - i'll check again. It would make sense.

I'll check with Michael the spec of the fan as well as its not too clear.

Archived