Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help me pick a guidecam for using with OAG

blinky

I am going to get hold of an OAG and really have a go with it. I currently guide with a 70mm scope and DSI mk1.

I have been looking around and here is my list......

QHY5 £179

COStar £275

Lodestar £385

QHY6 £299

I'm currently thinking either the Costar or Lodestar, as I want something very sensitive since it will be used with an OAG. I found a page - Starlight XPress SXV series cameras Page that shows the difference between the 2. It seems the lodestar is a lot more sensitive (more sensitive than I need?) but has a smaller fov than the CoStar. So the debate is smaller fov but more sensitive or larger fov but less sensitive?

I know a lot of people use the QHY5 and I would still consider this but the costar looks smaller, lighter and more sensitive than the QHY5.

So, opinions please..... Have you used any of the above with an OAG (And using the OAG on an F4 newt).

Meade DSIc (Mark I) :D About £80 s/h and much MUCH more sensitive than the QHY5.

Thats good to know as I already have a DSI and dont find it sensitive enough for using with an OAG (I have had a try in the past and could never find a star).

Thats good to know as I already have a DSI and dont find it sensitive enough for using with an OAG (I have had a try in the past and could never find a star).

Oh dear, thanks for the heads up. I'm about to pull trigger on an OAG :(

Best follow this thread then ... :D

Thats what this thread is about, TBH I never tried very hard with the DSI and I'm pretty sure there will be folks reply here using a QHY5 and sucessfully guiding with an OAG so maybe it just needs more patience than I had at the time!

Just had a look at some images produced from the QHY6 and they look pretty good - I'm wondering if this could be a dual use cam - guiding and imaging with the small pixel size compared to my QHY8? Only problem might be weight on an OAG, that was one of the things with the costar...

It's like the LodeStar..has the same chip as the DSI II, but it's the electronics that make all the difference!!!!

(I used the QHY5 for two years on guide duty... never let me down..it was only the availability of other cameras which made me change...)

Archived