Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Opinions on plossl eyepieces

Monki

Hi guys,

I've recently been looking at the Revelation photo visual kits.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/eyepiece-sets/revelation-photo-visual-eyepiece-kit.html

I have a 60mm f12 refracter and my current setup consists of the 2 standard 10/25mm kellners, my tal 2x barlow and celestron x-cel 18mm.

I really like the 18mm and the eye releif it gives ...i could stare down it all night and be comfy...which just makes me wonder if the plossls in the kit are for me...then again i think of my 10mm kellner and even though it's not as good i dont dislike it, it's just not as comfy.

The range the kit has is 32, 20, 15, 12 and 9mm. I've read various review and i'm satisfied with comments on the quality they are said to give.

Has anyone had the chance of using similar 4 element plossls? What were your opinions in regards to viewing comfort? Esp the 9mm? I dont wear glasses and i still have "young" eyes.

I'm looking at this kit because of the variety it offers in filters and eyepiece combinations, plus the carry case. It's my birthday soon and my girlfriend has offered to get me it. I'm aware i could get fewer, better quality eyepieces for that price, but i think the range will give me an idea of what i REALLY use the most....then i can proceed to invest in single high quality ones.

Thankyou in advance for any help and advice!

Sent from a Galaxy S 2 far away.

Being f/12 they should be OK, they have limitations when you get to f/5 area.

The 9mm will give 80x, it will also give about 6mm eye relief, half of the 18mm you like. It the eye relief is what makes the 18mm comfortable then 15, 12 and 9 will give less. About 2/3 of the eyepiece focal length is the rule on plossl's.

The set seems well matched to the scope, may not match another scope if you get one, but that is for the future.

For "constant" eye relief the BST Explorers/Skyguiders give 15mm and the TMB planetary's give 20mm (I think) across all the range.

I have various plossl's, some TMB's and the set of BST's, the longer plossl's are OK and the set you state seem to consist of the longer ones, no 6mm, 5mm, 4mm.

Thanks guys. I know there's plenty of threads on these kits regarding how good they are, and i have read them, but the idea of plossls kinda scared me after liking the x-cel so much.

After reading a bit more around the forums and web though i've decided to get them. I'm quite excited to try them now :(

Now the hard part....waiting for my birthday :D

Cooool i've heard a lot of good things about that 32mm, can't wait to use it! Yeh i've read the celestron and rev kits were both GSO EPs, the ones in the rev kit did seem more suite to my scope though (and thanks to the guys who just confirmed that for me :)), even though the curious part wants to get a 6mm and stick a barlow on it :p haha....i was just wondering though...have you used the filters? Apart from the ND filter included some say they are a waste of time! :)

Plossl's are pretty good. I have a Celestron kit which has pretty much the same EP's. The 32mm is just amazing.

Agreed...went out a bought a 32mm plossl at the weekend after using my brothers for ages....it's just a great piece of kit.

Archived