Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Looking good for tonight

robbie c

Just popped back into the house for a quick coffee and to thaw out!

The wife, scope and I have been in Oxford for the weekend (I put in the refractor in the car just in case the cloud decided to take a break)...just as well as tonight has been terrific. :(

A lovely waxing crescent moon was my first target with Venus close by. Then followed by a short while with Jupiter before the skies fell dark enough for M42, M31, C14 and M37.

Bizarrely the cloud has rolled in three times, then cleared within 10 minutes back to clear skies. :D Each time I have gone through the 'Should I pack up' debate, but persevered nonetheless.

The star of the show this evening was certainly Mars for me. I was delighted to achieve some really stable views with good contrast up to about 200x magnification. There was clearly visible surface detail with the prize polar cap.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the skies remain clear to catch Saturn in about an hour.

Hope everyone has been having success this evening. It has been far too long since the last clear skies!

Rob

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well round two was certainly full of conflicts... viewing Saturn and enjoying a stable enough view to see the cassini division, but then constantly pulled back towards Mars - now high in the sky and really showing off. :D

What a great evening it has been. So pleased to hear others are having successes too.

I am just hoping next Saturday is equally as good for the opposition of Mars. Although I don't think it will change by that much through the week, perhaps ever so slightly brighter.

Rob

Yay! Got Saturn at last - most impressive! And Mars again too!

I was going to go back and check for the rosette nebula I thought I saw earlier, but that part of the sky has gone below the hill and trees near me, so gave up.

Excellent night!

Had a cracking hour or two on the balcony, starting with the moon and working back to Venus and Jupiter after it disappeared behind the London Eye. Who says you can't do astronomy in central London?

I hear you :D Some stunning webcam images from central London too :(

Link to the thread: http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-lounge/177599-what-mars-features-do-we-see-these-days.html

Happy viewing all!

Newbie here... unfortunately , it's snowing and blowing again so I only had a short window to gaze at tonights wonders.

Can anyone tell me what the Blue Planet (or whatever) is that's right of the moon and the tree ? I could see it great with the telescope but couldn't capture an image . Very strange ,, almost like it has a burning blue ring. I need to work on a setup for pics through the telescope,,sorry about the quality :D

moon-feb-25th-2.jpg

Looking good tonight so far in my neck of the woods. (In between snow storms are making some good seeing conditions finally.)

Should be jumping on Saturn and Mars in about an hour if the weather holds up. :D

Not 30 minutes after my last post and 15 minutes prior to Saturn breaking above the treeline, a mass of winter storm clouds roll in for the night. I hate this state...Only 3 good full nights of clears sky all month long. :D

Newbie here... unfortunately , it's snowing and blowing again so I only had a short window to gaze at tonights wonders.

Can anyone tell me what the Blue Planet (or whatever) is that's right of the moon and the tree ? I could see it great with the telescope but couldn't capture an image . Very strange ,, almost like it has a burning blue ring. I need to work on a setup for pics through the telescope,,sorry about the quality :)

Errm... Venus was pretty close to the Moon last night? The third brightest object in the sky after the Sun and the Moon? :D It lacks surface detail though and, being an interior planet, doesn't lag or lead the Sun by lot.

Keep an eye on it though. Later this year it will turn into a pretty crescent :(

Errm... Venus was pretty close to the Moon last night? The third brightest object in the sky after the Sun and the Moon? :D It lacks surface detail though and, being an interior planet, doesn't lag or lead the Sun by lot.

Keep an eye on it though. Later this year it will turn into a pretty crescent :(

Thanks for the info and reply !! ,,, 10mins on Stellarium saved me hrs of searching LOL It looks like I captured Jupiter ( bottom left oops ) and Venus (Blue planet right side ) This program is awesome !!!!

A member for one day and already, i've learned something new. Great site folks :)

venus.jpg

Archived