Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone Tried These?

Assuming that's a link to the X-Cel LX, yes I own three (saving for fourth.)

I haven't used the WO, but IMHO these are better than the £100 priced Hyperions that I used to own.

Better edge corrected and slightly more contrasty at f5 and f4.

However, at f6 in your Dob, I'm not sure if the difference is noticeable over say a BST.

Having used both the SPLs and the X-Cel LXs there's nothing to choose between them performance wise except that the LXs have a bigger FOV. The main thing that I have against the SPL line is that there's only three focal lengths available. :D

I've also compared the LXs with the BST Explorers (see eBay) and while the BSTs are almost as good as the LXs, I found the quality control of the LXs to be better with better coatings as well.

Ignore the 1.25" eyepiece in the middle that snuck in amongst my X-Cel LX eyepieces. :(

John

post-14522-133877736885_thumb.jpg

Assuming that's a link to the X-Cel LX, yes I own three (saving for fourth.)

I haven't used the WO, but IMHO these are better than the £100 priced Hyperions that I used to own.

Better edge corrected and slightly more contrasty at f5 and f4.

However, at f6 in your Dob, I'm not sure if the difference is noticeable over say a BST.

Your assumption is correct, and many thanks for the info. Will have a look at the BST's before committing, given your thoughts regarding my scope speed.

Thanks again

Do FLO stock the BST's? I can't seem to see them on their website.

Had a look on Skysthelimit and they don't do a 7mm BST so looks like the LX is favourite at the moment.

I was looking for a 7mm to try and ring the changes when seeing is not so good. That would give me 170x mag as opposed to the 200x mag of the 6mm WO I have just bought.

When funds allow I plan to have 6,7,8 & 9mm EP's. That way I can keep stepping up until seeing stops the view getting better. (might even get a 5mm for when it's really good :D

John, what's the 5mm like? I'm happy with the 25, 12 and 7 so far (sold the 18 on as it just doesn't get used in my set up.)

I've had issue with a number of 5mm EPs before due to trying to view through the eye of a needle!!

I got the 5mm and can say its very good, but then again im only comparing it to my other small fl stock plossls.

Archived