Another first guided M51 :)

SteveL

I wasnt planning on creating anything worthwhile last night, it was planned to just use the OAG and PHD to learn how to get the auto guiding working. I wasnt even looking at the images being created, I was just watching PHD and the guiding application.... but then I processed the images this morning and thought it might be worth at least showing it.

OTA: Celestron NexStar 8 GPS + Wedge

Images: Canon 350D Unmodded, DSLR Focus, 10 x 3min @ ISO1600, 5 x darks

Guiding: Off Axis Guider, PHD + Meade DSI-C

Please note: As I had reinstalled DSLRFocus in the last few days, dumbass here didnt notice that I managed to take the sequence as normal/small jpegs, and not large/raw... doh! So not only are the originals small, they are also all 8 bit data... double doh!

m51-20070627.png

for reference, here is a unprocessed singel sub

m51-20070627-single-raw.jpg

For the long exposure gurus out there, if this is a 3 minute sub, do you think I can push the subs out to 4 mins? 5? More? On a histogram for an image, just how bad does the LP have to get before the observed object gets washed out?

Anyway, I`ll be returning to get more data for M51, with longer subs, and more time... and large/raw images!!!

Great image Steve. Also nice to see what the image looked like before processing, that way we can see just how much extra work was involved in creating the final image. Are you using an LP Reduction filters yet?

Given the original image I would have thought that you could easily go to 5mins, especially come the autumn when the skys will be darker.

See my ramblings in http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?topic=14649.0.

You may need to leave a 30sec or so gap between each shot to allow the electronics to cool down. The other problem on longer exposures is the amp. This will usually show as a strong glow somewhere roud the edge.

My *istD has a corker in the top left of frame - on one set of images ( 5 min ) the usual red glow from it had caused a white out ( say 15% of image ). My K10d has two much more subtle glows ( top centre and left centre ). Yours looks to be lower right side of image. You cancheck this out with a very long dark exposure - give it 10 mins and see what you get. Actually try 4,5,6,7 etc to see what electronic noise you get this will give you some idea of the cameras limitations. You are then down to the limits of light polution on the day (night :wink: ).

Rob

Well I'd say it came out really well for being just a tryout Steve. I can't comment on the technical side of the exposures, I leave that to the more knowledgeable, but for my money there is not a lot wrong with what you did here.

Ron.

Yes, I go indoors sometimes :wink: I just watch the weather sites like a hawk all day, looking for breaks in the clouds overnight so I can plan ahead, especially if they all happen to agree with each other it will be clear ;-)

I have to say I didnt spend all that long on the processing because I thought it was only a quick sequence. i`ll spend far longer on it next time its darker and I have longer subs. Pretty impressive though KK, how did you bring the colours out?

Use the image / adjustment / hue and saturation tool. ( Ctrl U ). Just slid the saturation slider halfway to the right and Bob's your uncle.

I also did a Noel on it, reduce star size, space noise and played with the curves.

Remember not to bin any of your images as you'll get to play with them on rainy nights when you've learnt something else in Photoshop. You'll never stop learning Photoshop as its so very versatile.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Excellent image Steve. With RAW and longer exposure ( bright evening sky makes it difficult at present) and some form of LP filter ( I use Astronomic CLS) will bring out even more detail.

John

Archived