Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Equinox-66 PRO for AP? or something else?

Hi, I wondered if anyone had got, or had any comments on, the Equinox-66 PRO scope for AP. I'm on a limited budget and this looks like a cheap way to get int0 AP. Would this be the best value of would another scope be better. I have a motorised EQ5 mount.

This is it here, it's available for around £315, but this site gives most detail: Sky-Watcher Sky-Watcher Equinox- 66 PRO ED APO Refractor

Thanks. CW :D

Have a look at the Ikharus ED80 or the Starwave ED80. The Ikharus is available from Ian King Imaging and the Starwave from Altair Astro. Both are under £300.

Thanks Jon. Have had a look at the Ikharus since posting this and was most impressed. Do you know if the Starwave comes with scope rings and dovetail, or will I have to buy them seperately? :D

Thanks Jon. Have had a look at the Ikharus since posting this and was most impressed. Do you know if the Starwave comes with scope rings and dovetail, or will I have to buy them seperately? :D

It says here rings and vixen dovetail are included.

hey CW:) if I new you had 300 quid to play with I definately would have suggested getting a starwave/Ikharus ED80, you can even get it with a 0.8 reducer for 345 quid!! I was about to it the buy button on one of these when my WO zs66 appeared on Astrobuy:) I still think the ST80 plus CA filter is a good way to get into AP if you only have 100 quid though:D.

Catweazel, you and I seem to be very much on the same path here! :D

I looked at the Equinox 66, but don't really want to go smaller than 80mm to be honest. The 66 would yield an effective 15x magnification using your 1000D compared to 18.7x with the 80mm. Not a lot in it actually, you've got me considering it again now. :(

Archived