Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Atik?

robin-m

There are 3 Atik cameras within a narrow price band that are 5mp, 2.8mp and 8.3mp (450l, 428ex & 383l). The 450l seems to me to be the best fit to my ED80 as it has a high pixel density (3.45x3.45um) and high pixel count but there are other factors such as well depth which I don't really have stats for or, a true understanding of how that will affect images in day to day use (I do understand the concept but don't know in practice how much of an issue well saturation is).

So, as a simple question which camera out of the three would you choose and why?

Robin

Thanks Rik, the 314 is cheaper than the three I quoted but is only 1.4mp. I'm thinking mono & filters BTW rather than OSC. The readout noise for the 314 is quoted at 4e, whereas the 450l is 5e is that a large difference that would outweigh the greater pixel density? I could bin the 450l 2x2 and still get a higher res picture than the 314.

Robin

You can choose the 450 - it has the same diagonal as 314L so will fit the same area and work in a similar way.

I'm using 314L+ with 65/420 APO and even with those bigger pixels I usually collect under-exposed frames at 5 or 10 min exposures. Smaller pixels would be even harder to fill with photons I would say. It's rather for f/2 Hyperstar or similar solutions :D

Optimal would be to use a big scope + big pixels for the same resolution like small scope with small pixels - but big pixels aren't popular on nowadays imaging sensor market so DS cameras with such pixels aren't cheap.

Thanks Rik, you've pointed out to me something that I knew but couldn't quite put into words. I had assumed that having more pixels meant I could blow the image up further and almost increase the focal length of my scope. Of course I can but what I hadn't fully considered was that I was spreading a finite number of photons over a greater number of pixels so in effect I'm increasing the f-number by doing so. There's no such thing as a free lunch! A 2x barlow onto a 1mp camera would produce the same image as a crop of a 4 mp camera. Considering that I can get the 314l + filter wheel & filters for the same price as a 450 and still have change for a pint in celebration I'm coming round to your way of thinking. :D

I appreciate your input.

Robin

There's not many images out there yet with the newer Atik camera's, but there's loads of folk using the 314L and to great success. I think I'd suggest waiting until there are more examples of the new Atik's in use and then decide.

Tuff call, I just sold my 383L MONO and was going to by the SXVF-M25C , then ATIK 450 and now am leaning to 428 OSC. With so many offers being thrown at me via ABAS I think I should calm down and wait for a mouth watering deal to drift by... :D

Tuff call, I just sold my 383L MONO and was going to by the SXVF-M25C , then ATIK 450 and now am leaning to 428 OSC. With so many offers being thrown at me via ABAS I think I should calm down and wait for a mouth watering deal to drift by... :D

Chick, Chick, Chicken :)

What you waiting for ? Christmas ! Go & buy one then.....

Ok, here's a single exposure of 30 mins with Quattro 10" F4 and Atik 428ex.

No calibration applied, just two levels stretches.

I'll next upload a crop so that the forum doesn't mangle the detail, and then also a crop from a 285 chip camera like the 314L+.

post-14037-13387773608_thumb.jpg

Here's a comparison between the 285 camera and the 428ex. It's not entirely similar because the scopes are different and the exposure time is different too, but the focal length of the two scopes was the same. I should be able to reproduce the same scope and exposure time when we get some more clear skies.

PS, this is the first time I've looked at these side by side too :D

Tim

post-14037-133877736142_thumb.jpg

post-14037-133877736146_thumb.jpg

Thanks Tim, those side by side comparisons are helpful. The 285 definitely shows more 'grain' than the 428ex. Funnily enough when I started this thread the 450 was in the lead, round the first corner and the 314 had a slight advantage but now the 428 has come from behind and is finishing strongly....

I think the large chip size of the 383 rules it out for my setup.

Robin

And the final winner was the 428ex with wheel and filters from Ian King. Now I have to explain to my wife why the budget for a few home improvements she had in mind has just evaporated ;)

For the first time I'm glad I don't have an obsy because I may have had to sleep in it for a few weeks after this...

Archived