Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M97 - The Owl Nebula

antimorris

I don't do planetary nebulas very often but thinking of doing them a bit more as my CPC needs to get some work other than just being my tracking mount.

Gorgeous night out 2 nights ago and I was able to get a decent amount of data on this, esp in OIII so I could just start to pull out the outer shock wave. Need a few more hours (and possibly some 30-45 min subs) in OIII to get more definition in the shock wave but happy with it for now. Processed as Ha/OIII/OIII and then color balanced to move the aqua hue more to blue.

M97 - Owl Nebula

Imaged: 18 Feb 2012

Imaging Scope: Celestron CPC800XLT (@ f/6.3)

Imaging Camera: Atik 314L+

Guide camera: StarlightXpress Lodestar

Integration details:

Ha: 9x900s

OIII: 8x1200s

Total integration time: 4hrs 55min

p257148932-2.jpg

(image links to larger version)

Thank you all very much for your kind comments. I was shooting to get that outer OIII shockwave. Even at 20min subs on a perfect night (seeing and transparency were excellent) I still only just have it. I might do a few more hours with longer (30-45min) subs next great night we have but those seem few and far between this winter!

Archived