NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Some New Pics

Warhen

Hi SL gang,

Hope everyone is doing well and a happy belated new year to you. Here are two new images for you. I really do appreciate the visits that Google Analytics tells me you mates make to my site.

First, a moderately interesting/pretty nebula-

NGC 1579 at Billions and Billions.com- Astro-Imaging

Next, an unusal and rather lovely galaxy-

IC 342 at Billions and Billions.com- Astro-Imaging

I also reprocessed three which had been bugging me. I'd overcooked these and went for a more naturalistic look this time. All were done in PixInsight and Photoshop.

www.billionsandbillions.com/m78.html

www.billionsandbillions.com/ngc_697_group.html

www.billionsandbillions.com/fox_face.html

Enjoy and thanks a lot!

Stunning. What do you actually need to create images like that? I'm guessing it's not just an 8" Dobsonian with a webcam in an urban street?

I keep seeing these stunning images and my wife always asks what it would cost......never mind the immense degree of skill required......to have a set up that is capable of those results.

Super pics Warren, don't think I've seen the fox one before, and the galaxies look amazing. Some trailing in M78 though in the top left and maybe a bit green in the first pic. Try the scnr in PI to remove that.

Lovely collection.

Tom.

Thank you so much guys, much appreciated! Let me try to squeeze in some responses.

Regarding RAC's comments about naturalism in processing- I feel like I've been pushing the envelope more and more lately. I do love a naturalistic look, but at the same time I find the newer 'in yer face' look of some younger PixInsight guys work from Italy and Spain to be intriguing. I guess I'm trying to split the diff.

Thirdway and DACZZR, you can have a peek at this Equipment at Billions and Billions.com- Astro-Imaging. That being said, also read my comments on the 'articles' page. I still stand by those suggestions- you don't need to spend a fortune on equipment to make good images! I think there's actually the issue, at least in the States of believing if enough $ is spent, beautiful images will appear, and as images are so dependent on processing- that's just not so.

AGS, you know that expressoin 'Everything is relative', right? Most of my pals have 14.5-20" RCs, so it never ends, does it?! Again, give us a corrected Newt and an OSC and we can still make nice images.

Tom OD, yep the first series of M78 was before the scope was flattened thanks to Rich at DeepSky Instruments, so there is some astigmatism in corners. And funny on 1579, JOhn A. Davis thought it a bit Red, and well, I wound up a tad Green- so I split the diff per your suggestion.

Lastly David, Steve and Rui and I remain good chums. In fact we have a copromo for my IP4AP.com which ships with each Atik camera. Thanks for asking! I codesigned AstroFX software for Celestron's Nightscape camera, am working on a PixInsight series, and doing some article writing. Oh, and processing all the darn data that's backed up since the end of monsoon season at New Mexico Skies!

Thanks, yes I read your articles. It seems you suggest the most important part is the mount? So, of you has to go out to find somewhere 30 or 40 miles away on a cold night. If you had a very restricted budget of say £2000 (assuming you already have a laptop), you can choose to buy used if needed, what would your list contain?

This is always a difficult question and it seems whenever this is asked most replies do not stick to the budget, they go off on talk of ' well I could make do, but really couldn't do without x,y,z".

This is, absolute maximum budget to produce something breath taking. It doesn't have to be DSO or planetary, it could be Moon. So, your not going to get any fancy gear for that amount, it's going to be a real stretch, but knowing your level of skill at processing it must be possible.

Archived